TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Teen
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anne

Unhappy Anxious - February 27th 2017, 03:33 PM

Hi. I need help. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and I am having such a difficult time coping with it. I have a difficult time sleeping, I wake up 5-10 times every night, and sometimes I can't fall asleep either. I always have that bad "gut feeling" in the pit of my stomach. Things bother me so much. Like getting told "jokingly" that I'm stupid. I am depressed and angry and I constantly cry. My parents dont know and they dont really understand or believe in mental illnesses. I used to self-harm as my coping mechanism, but that was put to a stop by my friends and school counselor. My counselor said I could always talk to her, but she recently had a baby and has been on maternity leave. I want to feel better, not scared all the time or tired or angry. But I dont know what to do. Please help me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Anxious - February 28th 2017, 02:46 PM

Hi Anne! So glad that you reached help here, and I had a chance to help you!

>> I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and I am having such a difficult time coping with it

- I am just like you, perhaps a few weeks ago untill I came here. I have social anxiety so badly that talking to strangers is a huge stress to me, and automatically I had no friends at school. Counselors and teachers are definitely not in my choice because talking to adults about my problems as a kid (or teenager) is simply intimidating for me.

But I just want to tell you that there are people around you, even if not much of them, there are people who dont want you to suffer. They may not know you, but they definitely dont want to see you suffer and are more than willing to help you even you are stranger to them. Hopefully you can be more trusting with other people and try to make the first step to talk to people. They are there to help you, really.

Here in Teenhelp, is the perfect place where you can meet very kind people as above. We dont want to see you afraid and suffer, and I want to praise you for reaching help here. I really feel for you, and I understand how hard it is to reach for help. Initially, I had to actually take a deep breath to press click and make a post, because I am just too anxious. But really, not even a week since I came here I realized that everyone are so kind and supportive of me. Trust me that you will go through the same feelings and experience, and don't worry about it.

>> I have a difficult time sleeping, I wake up 5-10 times every night, and sometimes I can't fall asleep either.

- Often, consistent bad sleeping patterns is due to nightmares, as I had known. Was it because of bad dreams and nightmares for your case as well? Maybe you would want to consider consulting a doctor for medication? I personally know melatonin which I used before (just a few times) when I cant sleep well. If its really because of nightmares, please, let it off your chest and talk to us. Ranting it out can really make you feel better and hopefully reduces the occurence of your nightmares. You can really count on us to listen to you.

>> Like getting told "jokingly" that I'm stupid.

- I will not lie to you, that yes, there are smart people in the world. They are probably smarter than you in your eyes. But one thing for sure, NO ONE derserves calling you stupid, not even yourself. If anyone does that to you, please tell them to stop because its very mean of them to say that to you, and you will be hurt by their words. They should have understand that and stop, and you are human just like they are.

Okay, now if its you yourself who is doubting whether you are stupid, then let me tell you that you are not stupid. No matter how you think others are smart, you can always make the difference closer by working hard. And you are special, and everyone is unique. Even disabled people are unique, and they deserve to not be called stupid. You are the same too! You might have doubts on yourself, but I am sure there is something speical in yourself, and you should try to find out what is it. I am sure you can find out what it is!

And hey, you already listed down one feature that makes you special. Please dont think that having anxiety disorder is bad. You might felt nervous all the time, but that also had its good impacts: You are more likely to avoid yourself from bad people because you are less trusting to people. This is exactly how I am too. When you ever feel panic, try to imagine yourself in a transparent box. You find a isolated spot and close your eyes to calm down. This is what i do to overcome anxiety attacks. Not always going to work, but it does helped me a lot of times. And people with anxiety can be good friends too, because they know when to trust a good person, and be their good friend. Tell yourself that this is already a good aspect of yourself, and you are special.

>> My counselor said I could always talk to her, but she recently had a baby and has been on maternity leave.

- I am sorry to hear that. There is sadly nothing you can do to see her in person in school. Do you think its possible to pay her a visit (if you both are close), or maybe talk to her in phone? You really dont deserve to be scared and angry all the time, and you should talk to people to reduce your stress. You can always find such people here in TH! And we are more than willling to help you, dont worry. And for me, I am just one PM away!

I hope you really feel better, because you are a good person and you shouldnt be suffering in the way you are right now. Please tell us your problems if things are getting harder for you. Smiles!

Ivan

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
danh19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: daniel

Re: Anxious - March 2nd 2017, 09:25 PM

I sorry to hear that I know how horrible it can be I most likely have gad myself

Closed Thread