TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Switching my Effexor to primary care provider - April 2nd 2017, 06:59 PM

I currently get my Effexor from my APRN at school but I am graduating soon so she suggested I get it switched over to my primary care provider.

I haven't actually met my primary care provider yet as I am in between doctors. I'll be meeting her at my physical in May.

My APRN said she'd probably want to meet with me every six months though and that's a problem for multiple reasons.
  1. My counseling center is free. I just have to pay for the meds at the pharmacy. My insurance covers a yearly pysical but I'd have to pay like 30% of the bill per visit for a medication type visit. Plus it's my parents' insurance which means they'd find out.
  2. Transportation. I don't drive.
  3. My parents don't know about my mental illness and I want to keep her out of this.

So if i have to meet with my primary care provider every six months, I'm screwed. I honestly WOULD call if I was having a problem so why can't I just meet yearly? :/ I am not ready yet to wean off my meds entirely I don't think but I may ask my APRN to start weaning me and just deal with the anxiety and depression on my own if my primary care provider isn't willing to just do it on a yearly basis.

The other issue is I bounce between two pharmacies currently. While I'm in school I go to a CVS by my dorm but when I'm at home I have it sent to a CVS closer to home. So i'm not sure if my new doctor would go with that...My APRN understands because she works at the college and knows not everyone can get to and from home and/or to school during a vacation easily, but will this lady?

Idek. i guess my question is how do I explain all of this to my primary care doctor to hopefully get her to understand?

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Switching my Effexor to primary care provider - April 2nd 2017, 08:44 PM

Hey there I'm having some of the same issues. My mom knows (now) about everything because I had to tell her so she could take me, but usually, as long as I make the appointment, she doesn't care what it's for. You can ask your doctor to be understanding, but there are procedures they still need to follow. If you've been on this medication for awhile with no issues, then she might be willing to let it be once a year. My problem is I need referrals for everything because Medicaid is stupid and I'm pretty sure she has to see me first. I would see what your primary care is an isn't willing to do for you before weaning off of any medications, especially if they're working.

As long as your medications are sent to a single pharmacy system, you can have them sent to whichever branch of that pharmacy you want. If it gets sent to the wrong one, you can just call the place it was sent to, explain the situation, and they'll forward it to the right place. I did that once, accidentally told the doctors office the wrong location. It's an easy fix. I'm sure you aren't the only college student she sees, she's probably done this type of thing before.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Switching my Effexor to primary care provider - April 3rd 2017, 06:18 AM

It should be easy to switch from one CVS to another. You can ask CVS about that.

If the only thing keeping you from getting the medication you need is insurance, there's usually an insurance expert in the doctor's office who knows how to deal with insurance hurdles.

If the Effexor is working for you and you are stabilized on it and have been taking it for a while and there aren't any problems and you don't foresee any need to change the prescription in the near future, then it's easy for a new doctor to just continue the prescription. If they want to see you again in 6 months, then ask their insurance expert to come up with a way to bill insurance for it. It's a legitimate question on your first visit. Leave it to them to come up with a solution. You may also ask them about insurance privacy if you don't want your parents to know.

(It's also possible your parents don't look very closely at the insurance "Explanation of Benefits" (EOB) for services rendered. They often tend to be uselessly cryptic anyway. They might even be mailed to you instead of your parents, but I don't know about that.)

Best wishes! I'm glad Effexor works for you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Switching my Effexor to primary care provider - April 4th 2017, 12:34 AM

It's not the insurance itself, it's the fact that I am on my parents' insurance so they'd get the bill, and I also don't have the money to pay for it myself. I don't want my parents knowing.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
Closed Thread