TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

New psychiatrist - April 4th 2017, 08:51 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

TRIGGER WARNING: SELF-HARM, EATING DISORDER

My new psychiatrist rubbed me the wrong way. I walked into her office and she was like I see you tried to cut yourself, you scars are ugly and will last forever. Then when she saw I was diagnosed with an eating disorder she was like oh so you have binge eating disorder. I said no I have bulimia but more so EDNOS. I told her I restrict and told her what I eat and she was like then how come you are fat? Then when she was going threw the list of ed symptoms she was like like do you over exercise? and before I could answer she said obviously not. Truth is I do at times. Then when I told her I don't purge binges only meals she said that's stupid and doesn't make sense. Tome I don't have the patients to kneel in front of the toilet for 15 minutes puking. It makes sense to me. Oh and then when I told her I threw away all my razor blades instead of saying that is a good first step, she looked at me and said oh you can just go buy more. She pissed me off so much, I feel like burning or cutting myself. I just feel like crap.

And on top of all of that. She took me off of most of my medicine. I do not feel comfortable being taken off of all my medicine.

Does anyone have any advice?

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: New psychiatrist - April 4th 2017, 08:57 PM

Find a new one! And let whoever referred you know that you were treated this way so they don't send anyone else to her, or at least think twice about it. You didn't deserve to be treated like that, don't let her spiral you to a dangerous or unhealthy place. This was absolutely wrong on every level.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: New psychiatrist - April 4th 2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Find a new one! And let whoever referred you know that you were treated this way so they don't send anyone else to her, or at least think twice about it. You didn't deserve to be treated like that, don't let her spiral you to a dangerous or unhealthy place. This was absolutely wrong on every level.
The problem is they want me to have stability so I don't know if my therapist will let me change again. But I will talk to her and let her know.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: New psychiatrist - April 4th 2017, 09:18 PM

For something like this, I'd hope so. Stability isn't healthy if you're subjected to this when you see them.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: New psychiatrist - April 5th 2017, 03:19 AM

I agree this is not healthy for you at all, if anything it's counter-productive. Definetly talk to your therapist and tell them everything that made you feel awful about this psychiatrist and advocate for yourself. You deserve someone who will help you reach your goals and keep you healthy.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: New psychiatrist - April 5th 2017, 01:15 PM

Sounds like this "therapist" needs to be looked at, this is unacceptable behavior/"advice" (though it's hardly advice, more like belittling). I would try to talk to who you can about changing therapists again. I've changed therapists 4-5 times over the last 7-8 years so it's absolutely okay to change if you're no longer comfortable or need a different perspective. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience though and I don't blame you for wanting a different person. But the way she went about bringing up your personal issues is totally unprofessional. Like you don't just tell someone "oh you can just go buy more", that's literally encouraging the behavior and goes against what therapists are supposed to do. I understand a possible "tough love" approach but this is certainly not that. If you when you change therapists, I would report her...Best of luck

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: New psychiatrist - April 5th 2017, 06:27 PM

Hey Essa,

You need to find a new therapist. You have the right to tell whoever referred you to that therapist that you want a different one. Tell them what they said to you during your appointment. That is giving you negative thoughts, and I know you're allowed to change who you see.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: New psychiatrist - April 5th 2017, 06:27 PM

Hey Essa,

You need to find a new therapist. You have the right to tell whoever referred you to that therapist that you want a different one. Tell them what they said to you during your appointment. That is giving you negative thoughts, and I know you're allowed to change who you see.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#9 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: New psychiatrist - April 5th 2017, 08:15 PM

Find a new one. Sorry to be blunt but she sounds like a cow! Rude much.

You don't have to put up with such ignorance and blatant disregard of you, your emotions, your symptoms, and your strengths!!

Uff this has infuriated me, I can only imagine how hurt you must be right now!

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

Closed Thread