TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Working with ADHD - June 9th 2017, 06:26 AM

Hey,
So I have an attention disorder, for which I am on medication. Basically I can't focus and am always jittering.
The medication doesn't help me focus one bit.
Does anyone have any recommendation about how I can work and function? I've tried using anti procrastination apps, not using my comp as far as possible and using the basic strategies that are suggested on Google.

Thanks

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Working with ADHD - June 9th 2017, 02:57 PM

Recently, I've been using a squeeze ball to keep myself grounded whenever I get distracted or disassociate. It's really a toy for babies (got it from my niece) but my parents have noticed a difference. I will eventually get an age- and purpose-appropriate stress ball for my anxiety and ADHD. Maybe that is something to consider? Also, how long have you been on your current medication and its dosage? When I was growing up, I had to change dose and/or medication every few years or so because it just stopped working for me. My body became immune and my brain just didn't respond to it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Working with ADHD - June 10th 2017, 10:11 AM

I have a tangle toy and a fidget cube and a fidget spinner that I use to help me concentrate I have ADHD and find using these do help me when I'm in class.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Working with ADHD - June 11th 2017, 06:37 AM

I was once in a fast food restaurant with a friend, trying to concentrate on my friend talking to me. My only problem was I was also hearing every other conversation going on simultaneously in the place. Every single couple that was talking in the restaurant, my brain was picking it up, focusing on it, taking it in, processing it, deciphering it, and I was listening to every conversation going on in the restaurant at once. I was unable to filter out all the other conversations and focus just on my friend.

The explanation I was given, was that for ADHD, there's all this stimulation coming into the brain, from the eyes (visual), ears (sound), skin (touch), nose (smell), tongue (taste), and the brain is supposed to figure out what's important and what's not important, and discard what's not important, and focus on what's important.

Which only works if the brain's filter is working, that part that filters out what's not important.

If the filter isn't working, then the brain is reacting to everything. The brain is processing everything. The brain is distracted by everything. It appears the person is hyper, or just has a short attention span, when actually the person is trying to pay attention to way too much, all at the same time.

So the trick is to stimulate that filter part of the brain and get it working again, so it properly filters out all the background noise, allowing the person to stay focused on just what's relevant, and ignore all the irrelevant rest.

Doctors can try and stimulate that part of the brain with medications.

Or you can try and stimulate it yourself with some mind training exercises.

Closed Thread