TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Your Local Weirdo
Not a n00b

Name: Kitty

Question voices? - June 23rd 2017, 04:24 AM

hi so i dont know/remember how long this has been going on but i hear voices like not someone speaking to me but like a voice thought,, am i crazy.. or is there something wrong with me?

Do you know how hard it is to write on a flip phone, huh?- Kim Seokjin
-------------------------------------------------------You call that ass you're own we call that silicone, silly girls, with silly boys- Melanie Martinez ( Sippy Cup )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: voices? - June 23rd 2017, 03:30 PM

Hey there,

I believe we all have an internal 'voice'. Whenever we think about something or read (not out loud) or even imagine things, then we'll use an internal voice.

Sometimes though, it can be a bit of a problem. For example, when we realise that we either tend to think negatively and insult ourselves using the internal voice e.g. I'm so stupid, on a regular basis. Or we have random (intrusive) thoughts that are difficult to get rid of. Or when we hear a voice (or several), like someone is with us and talking to us, and the voice may be telling us to do things, perhaps causing us to feel paranoid and suspicious. In this case, you may also experience hallucinations (seeing things that aren't there) and delusions (believing things that don't make sense or that no-one else believes).

We can't diagnose you, but if it's bothering you, or seems like any of the things I mentioned above, then it's worth seeking professional help.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: voices? - June 24th 2017, 07:33 AM

Many people do hear voices, that are not voices they control. Sometimes the voice says nice things. Sometimes the voice says negative things. Sometimes there is more than one voice.

A network of people who hear voices have organized mostly in the united kingdom and I think Australia, the us lags way behind in this, and they have together found support and comfort knowing they are not alone. its comforting to talk to others about these things. also they have found ways of dealing with these voices when they become troublesome. they have learned you can negotiate with the voice, such as tell the voice you will listen to it from 7pm to 8pm, if it will politely leave you alone during the rest of the day.

there's a lot of resources out there. sorry I don't have the list with me right now. if this is what you are referring to and are interested I'll look it up for you.

there's also medication that can help quiet the voices if they are troublesome. sometimes a combination of medication and voice hearing support groups and finding what has worked for other people can work.

so you're not crazy and your not alone, though most people don't experience this, some do. the really good thing is you recognize it as something about you. some people insist nothing is wrong with them and its the world that needs fixing, and why would they take medicine since nothing is wrong with them? those are the people who are the hardest to help. you on the other hand, already have the self awareness, so you'll be easy to help.

I heard a story of one person who instead of voices heard music all the time, and it was music she didn't like. so she wrote a letter to the entity playing the music in her head, asking could it please play some music that she liked, and could it please turn the volume down a bit. and the letter worked!

you'll find stories and people when you find those groups they set up in the UK and Australia. maybe there's even a support group near you.

best wishes!

oh, and the lady who taught me all this, when I mentioned the inner thought dialog that I thought we all had that I call thinking, she had no idea what I was talking about and was bewildered by the whole concept. so interesting how differently we can perceive and process the world.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: voices? - June 25th 2017, 06:40 AM

I found the links I promised earlier, to resources related to your question, if I understand your question correctly.

Working To Recovery
http://www.workingtorecovery.co.uk

ICRA-Wholelife
http://www.icra-wholelife.org

INTERVOICE
http://www.intervoiceonline.org

Voice Collective
http://www.voicecollective.co.uk
young peoples' hearing voices project for 12-17 year olds, parents, and carers.

Like I said earlier, you'll notice many of these places are in the UK. It says between four and 10% of people across the world hear voices, and between 70 - 90% do so following traumatic events.

OK Best Wishes!

Closed Thread