TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sonakshibhathi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What are mental illnesses? - July 24th 2017, 11:49 AM

hello friends,
I would like to know,
What are mental illnesses?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: What are mental illnesses? - July 25th 2017, 03:20 AM

Hey there,

In short, mental illnesses affect a person's mind/brain and change how they think, feel, and/or act. A couple of common examples are depression and various anxiety disorders (social anxiety, for example, where people get especially nervous in social situations).

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What are mental illnesses? - July 25th 2017, 06:47 AM

the big ones are Clinical Depression, where one is so depressed for so long it becomes obvious to everyone (except maybe the depressed person) that something is medically wrong, because this person just isn't coming out of it. the depression can become quite severe, where a person wants to die.

the second is Bipolar, used to be called Manic-Depressive, where the person cycles between severe depression and severe the opposite, mania, where they are way too happy, and they tend to do irrational things because they are just way too happy. then they cycle back into depression. the cycles can vary from days to months. usually a few weeks.

the third is schizophrenia, which is in a class of its own, and is hard to describe.

those are the big 3. then there are others, variations, but mostly those 3.

they are all still people. I've known some who were quite severe, but you could still talk to them and they were all there. its amazing how much the body affects the mind.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What are mental illnesses? - July 27th 2017, 07:27 PM

Interesting question!

Mental illnesses are groups of illnesses that affect how you think, feel and behaviour. They usually affect your life and symptoms last for quite a while.

Mood disorders are mental illnesses that affect your mood, such as depression, anxiety and bipolar. The difference between a mood disorder and normal emotions is often the severity and length of time the symptoms have affected you. For example, it's natural to feel anxiety before an exam, and sad if you find you failed the exam. Anxiety and sadness are emotions that everyone experiences. However, feeling anxious about meeting up with friends, using public transport, having phobias etc., may indicate an anxiety disorder. Equally, feeling depressed for at least two weeks and losing interest in hobbies and generally feeling tired and sad, may indicate depression, rather than sadness. With bipolar, you may experience depression for a while and then experience a 'manic' episode where you feel energised and elated, before falling back into a depression. Mood disorders affect your mood, but also your thoughts (negative thinking) and behaviour (avoiding things).

Other types of mental health illnesses include addictions, eating disorders, schizophrenia, PTSD, personality disorders and psychosis. These types of mental health issues may affect how the person perceives themselves, the world around them and their relationships with other people.

Anyone can experience mental health issues, regardless of age, gender or socioeconomic background. They may be genetic, caused by trauma or life circumstances, or just a chemical imbalance in the brain.

There are many ways of treating mental health issues, including medication, therapy and lifestyle changes.

If you are concerned about mental illness, then it's best to talk to your doctor or a counsellor about your concerns

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread