TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amy654 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amy

Unhappy Paranoid. Please help! - August 19th 2017, 09:51 PM

I'm constantly paranoid. I make sure every curtain is shut. All the windows and doors are locked. I feel like someone is out to get me and at night I sometimes here footsteps out side my room. I take extra precaution for everything I do. I'm nervous about this website because I'm guessing you could probably track people down. I've tested how safe I am on the Internet by trying to find myself and I have chosen to have no social media. Even when any cameras I have are off I still cover the lens incase someone has hacked it and can see me. Often all of a sudden a countdown just kind if comes into my head and I have to complete my task before its up. It's stupid but I can't not do it! For example I will be about to put on a watch and bam! I only have 10 seconds to do it. I think a reason for me to be so paranoid is because of a past experience that has made me have slight trust issues. By the way, this experience does not involve a relationship breakup. It involves a naive girl and a pedophile. Everywhere I go I think of a back up plan for every possible thing that could happen, even if they seem crazy. I'm sick of this ruling over my life and I want it gone but at the same time, I don't.
Any advice or alternatives would really help!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Paranoid. Please help! - August 20th 2017, 02:07 PM

You could probably use google to get some self-help or an online session for your paranoia to help you get through it and let yourself no longer have to fear things on a daily basis. Online sessions sometimes ask for an email though, so you may need to make one for that unless you already have one that you're willing to use. There may also be libraries around that you can borrow or order books from. Idk whether they send it to people's houses or not, but given the Internet, they probably do have that option. That option might cost money though. Anyway, that's the most I can think of. That relationship you mentioned sounds like it must've been horrible to experience if it's what caused this and I really hope you feel better eventually. Although, I'm not a therapist, so it would be better to look up and contact someone whose purpose is to assist people in a similar situation to you instead.

"I'm not making any plans. I'm just going to let the universe surprise me."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Paranoid. Please help! - August 21st 2017, 02:03 PM

It must be horrible being paranoid all the time!

Firstly, I want to say that so long as you don't include identifying information in your posts or on your profile (e.g. full name, specific locations) then no-one will know that it's you since you are fairly anonymous. You are safe here.

Given your past experiences, I would say it's quite common to have difficulties with trust and generally feel the world is an unsafe place, causing you to be paranoid about things. I'm assuming that you are safe now and not being hurt in anyway? Remember that despite how you may be feeling, that you aren't living in the past anymore and that you are safer now than what you were before. It may not make the paranoia and worrying go away, but it can be off some comfort to remind yourself of these things.

Self-help, like the above response said, can be helpful. But sometimes, especially when things are interfering with our lives or we've had a traumatic past, it can be better to speak with a professional such as a counsellor. Counsellors will be able to explore your behaviours with you, and help you to challenge them and the paranoid thoughts so that you can live your life without having to let the paranoia take control.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Paranoid. Please help! - August 24th 2017, 09:53 AM

Sounds like the amygdala part of the brain has become overactive.

The brain is like a rider on a horse. Usually the rational rider is in charge, but sometimes the horse can get spooked and the horse takes charge and just runs off in fear, dragging the poor rider with him.

Rationally talking about fear doesn't help, because the rational part of the brain (the rider) already knows the horse is running away.

The trick is to get the horse to calm down. Then the rider can regain control.

There are some mind exercises which can help. They don't work instantly, but if done repeatedly over time they can slowly strengthen other parts of the brain which allow them to gain control over the amygdala. It's also possible to actually shrink the amygdala, so fear itself shrinks, if the amygdala has grown a bit too strong and overreactive. But don't worry about that.

Look into trying some simple qi-gong exercises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29bi...trFXyMFQ3_1POB

There's a youtube.com link to "Qigong Master Wang: Six Qigong Exercises." Very simple exercises. You can start with the one where you just slowly move your hands apart and then back together again. Focus your mind on your hands, and slowly moving your hands.

The key is focusing your mind on this task alone. When a thought enters your mind, let it go and return to focusing on slowly moving your hands apart and slowly together again.

There are probably other good videos on qi-gong exercises too.

I know at first it will seem like there's no connection between doing these simple focusing the mind exercises and alleviating paranoia. But over time it can help.

Hopefully you have a counselor to talk to.

Hopefully also a doctor, who can check to make sure the paranoia isn't caused by something else. (Sometimes smoking marijuana long term can result in paranoia. Or a body chemistry out of balance can cause it.)

Closed Thread