TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Amtriptyline ? - August 24th 2017, 09:25 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My dr's put me on Amtriptyline. Its for my sleeping which is fine as i slept for like 11 hours last night after taking it... that being said... i dont like how its making me feel... like today i woke up and was like okay im awake and went around doing my usual stuff in the morning... but im like finding its making me numb like emotionally numb... to the point where i cannot feel anything... like i wont think.. i wont feel... im just sort of there.... im not sure if its meant to do that? i mean i know its used for things liek depression, anxiety etc.. but at the same time is it supposed to be leave me completely emotionless? and ad for the side effects they scare me... it says about how it can increase self harm and suicidal thoughts.... also is it okay to skip a dose if i feel like i dont need it? or if i have a busy day the next day and cant be late? I have college interviews etc coming up and cant miss them but the amtriptyline is making me sleep like 11 or so hours... and feel all groggy and drowsy in the day?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Concinnity Offline
Go gold.
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Re: Amtriptyline ? - August 25th 2017, 05:06 AM

Most of what you describe sounds like it could be within the realm of normal for someone who just started a new medication! I've heard (I am by NO means a medical professional, at all) that a lot of people experience a number of unpleasant side effects after starting an antidepressant, and that they ideally go away within a few weeks. However, I don't know if the particular side effects you're experiencing are typical for your exact medication! If you're worried, maybe contact your doctor to find out if what you're going through happens to a lot of people when they first start taking that med.

As for skipping a dose - again, I'm not a medical professional or anything, but as far as I know, skipping doses isn't something you want to do. I don't know if it will affect your health/mood to skip a dose, but I wouldn't really recommend it! Maybe ask your doctor about that also.

Good luck! I hope this sorts itself out soon.

"Chase your stars, fool. Life is short."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Amtriptyline ? - August 26th 2017, 09:39 PM

I dont know if its normal or not but since starting to take it - i am waking up with a very bad back each morning... and its not my mattress as ive like just had a new mattress like may time...is this a normal side effect? it wasnt listed in the side effects on the leaflet...

Videos team

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Amtriptyline ? - August 26th 2017, 10:05 PM

Hey there,

My dad was prescribed that medication at one point and experienced the whole 'feeling like a zombie' or 'feeling numb'. He experienced a number of other side effects as well and so his doctor ended up switching him off of that medication.

My suggestion would be that you call the doctor who has prescribed the medication and ask him if this is normal. He might not be willing to answer the question on the phone so you might have to schedule an appointment. However, there have been instances where I have called my doctor's office and explained some of the symptoms and he's told me if it was normal.

I do think that in most cases, the zombified/numb feeling does tend to go away after a while. However, with my dad the other side effects were too much for him so he requested a new medication.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Amtriptyline ? - August 26th 2017, 10:18 PM

Yeah the zombie /numb feeling i can somewhat deal with... but the back pain is awful... like ive since googled all side effects and on one site in less common side effects it does list 'lower back pain / side pain' as an side effect... i wont be able to like contact a dr till tuesday.. as its a bank holiday and thier shut till tuesday.... ive decided till i can see a dr to stop taking it... as ive like only been taking it for two nights... its not going to do much yet as ive been on it for like a couple of nights...

Videos team

(#6 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Amtriptyline ? - August 27th 2017, 06:25 AM

Yea if you're sleeping too much or feeling like a zombie or emotionally numb, then this med may not be the right one for you. You can try a lower dose to see if you can tolerate a lower dose, or you can stop it altogether.

Just don't keep taking it only because the doctor prescribed it. For these types of mental problems it's always a guessing game, where the doctor says, "Here, try this and see if it helps." Also give the doctor feedback. No feedback and he'll think you're fine.

One never knows how a particular medication for mental issues is going to work for a particular person. You just have to try it and see what happens.

Since it's a guessing game, where we just try a med to see what will happen, I tend to be free about whether or not to continue a medication. Especially a new one I just started.

I've tried a lot of antidepressant medications nearly all of them.

Sometimes the side effects are too much and I just stop taking the medication and tell the doctor let's try something else.

Sometimes I try lowering the medication to see if less will be tolerable.

I tried a med which made me very tired. I tried half a pill and was mostly tired. I tried a quarter of a pill and had a little difficulty getting up in the morning. So even a quarter of that pill made me tired, and that was far less than the recommended dose. It was obvious after a few days of experimenting that this pill wasn't going to work for me. I stopped taking it and notified my doctor. (It does help that I saw my psychiatrist frequently back then.)

Another med I tried was like drinking 20 cups of coffee. Way too wired for me! I stopped taking that pill after a few days. And of course I notified my doctor so we could try something else.

The warnings about possible side effects can be hilarious at times, as the listed possible side effects include all sorts of things. Typically super bad things never happen. I think allergic reaction is still the number one thing to watch out for.

Aside from that, the list of side effects can be useful if I'm taking more than one medication, and I'm having a side effect, and I need to figure out which med is most likely the one causing the problem.

The black box warning about suicide is ludicrous and has actually been a disservice, as regular doctors cut back on prescribing antidepressant medication to children and teens who needed it, and the suicide rate among that population increased noticeably. (A doctor who gave a talk on suicide made that comment.)

Plus depressed people are already prone to suicide, and I know from my experience those thoughts come and go, up and down like a roller coaster. You got to watch out for that possibility anyway. It's hard to say if it's the medicine causing it. However, if you think the medicine is making that worse then you can always stop taking it and notify your doctor.

If this current medication is making you tired then go ahead and cut back on it or stop taking it. See what happens.

The beneficial effects, if any, and often there are none, but I've been told it can take 2 - 6 weeks to start working. My own experience is it only takes a few days once I start the right medication. After 2 weeks it gets me out of the hole and I can tolerate life again.

I've tried many medications which didn't help, and we tried each one for 6 weeks before giving up on it. It took a long time to find the medication that worked for me. Still, hugely beneficial as it makes me well and able to function normally.

Some meds we're supposed to slowly ramp up on, and slowly taper off of. Other meds it's OK to start and stop without ramping up or tapering off. Some meds can have rebound withdrawal side effects if you suddenly stop taking them. However, if the med is causing a big problem, then maybe it's fine to stop taking it anyway, as the effects of suddenly stopping it may be less than the problems it's causing. I just ask my doctor if this is a med I need to ramp up on and taper off, or if I can just start and stop it.

I think I've tried Elavil, but I don't remember what happened. I've tried so many different meds.

So yea if the med is causing more problems than it's supposed to help with you can always stop it and ask your doctor if there's another med you can try. Ideally a med that works for you won't have excessive side effects, and will have an beneficial effect which you will notice within 2-6 weeks. Otherwise it's just not helping.

The other option is there may be a 2nd med that can counteract the side effect of the 1st med. (And then a 3rd med to counter the side effect of the 2nd med.)

My primary med is kind of sedating, so doctor prescribes a 2nd med that helps wake me up. That actually works, but the 2nd med caused diarrhea, so doctor gave me a 3rd med to take care of that, and surprisingly it worked.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Amtriptyline ? - September 4th 2017, 06:33 PM

I stil seem to be feeling numb..... i hate it so much but its like the only way i can get any sleep....

Videos team

Closed Thread