TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
itzz.casper Offline
~Unicorns~
Average Joe

Name: Casper

My mood swings are controlling - August 25th 2017, 12:16 PM

Okay so I am bipolar. I have lots of mood swings. And its driving me nuts, Its nothing I cant controll all I know is, my bipolar is ruining me.

So I recentaly just started high school. So I was nervous and excited a week or two in I'm already getting picked on. I already told the teacher and since I dont know their names I cant do much, I felt sad so I tried callin my friend. He didnt awnser. So I called my other nothing. I called my best friend she awsner but can only talk for a few minutes. On the phone call she asked me why I go from sad to happy, to depressed to extermally pissed. And she started pushing it. So I tried not to let that bother me, after we hung up

My mood swings attacked. I went to see my sister all happy, the three minutes later I'm screaming, And after that I just went black This is not the first time this happened, but it's driving me to overtime depression and then happiness. I don't get it. And it shakes me. My friend next me in math asked why I was shookin up

And that was my mood swings after-math.

I am a little frighten on how my mood swings are taking over.

I am scared on what it could do to me.

What can/should I do?

*hope you guys are having a great day where ever you are*

I'm not looking for sympathy, just understanding- Jacoby Shaddix <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: My mood swings are controlling - August 28th 2017, 10:50 AM

Hey there,

Must be very difficult trying to settle in school as well as deal with mood swings!

Even if you don't know the names yet, it's good that you still went to the teacher as at the very least the teacher can try to look out for you. Naturally, you would be upset and would want to call a friend, and when you don't get an answer, would feel frustrated. Emotions can be tricky to deal with, but sometimes it can help to challenge the thoughts that may be causing the emotions e.g. maybe your friends were busy and couldn't take your calls at the time, but realising they do care about and would most likely listen to you if they had the time. Your friend sounds like she was concerned about you, but really she had no right to be pushing you into explaining why you have mood swings.

Remember that not every thought or situation needs a reaction. Try doing deep breathing, or counting backwards from 50 before acting on something.

You mention that you have bipolar, and I'm wondering if this is what you have been diagnosed with and whether you are having a treatment for it? If not, then it may be worth talking to someone about how you are feeling, such as a parent, teacher, school counsellor or doctor. It can be normal to have mood swings as teenagers, but if it's affecting your life then it's still worth talking about!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My mood swings are controlling - August 29th 2017, 08:16 AM

Is your high school a big school? I had problems going to a big school, which so many people just overwhelming me. My parents put me in a small private school. I liked that, except the private school was very pushy overloading me with homework. They wanted to keep up their reputation of everyone who graduates from this private school goes on to college. I went there 2 years. It was a good experience. Then I decided to switch back to public school. Public school had the issue of so many people, which just naturally made me endlessly uptight. But I didn't have to overwork myself doing homework. (In fact, on semester I took one less class than they wanted me to. initially they said I couldn't drop a class, so I just said I'll do no work in this class and get an "F" and just focus on my other classes, because I knew I couldn't do one extra class. After a few weeks when they saw I was serious about doing zero work in this class and I was determined to get an "F" in it, they let me drop the class and told me to go to the library instead.)

So my only suggestions are: stay away from overwhelming situations.
Of course that's not much help when you don't have a choice.

Next best thing is to make sure you factor in a lot of relaxation and fun during the week. Again not as easy to do as said.

Third thing I've found helpful is learning to meditate. After doing that for a couple months it helps alter the brain, strengthening certain parts of it, which has the lovely effect of reducing stress, and stress is the key which causes all the other problems, so if you can learn to reduce stress, then you become more robust and able to handle stress, because you've altered your brain to be less stressed.

Research ways to activate the "Parasympathetic Nervous System." That's a mouthfull of words. You can also research "Polyvagal Theory", which is the same thing, just some different doctor gave the idea a different name.

I'd say be allowed to leave at any time if school becomes too much. You need an exit option if you're going to dive in. Need a break? Leave. Go across the street, to somewhere quiet, where you can recover for an hour before going back. (Or maybe the school has a quiet place you could go. Maybe the office is a quiet place and maybe they have a place in there you could go with special permission simply because you need to, and once they identify you as someone with a "special need" you suddenly qualify for all sorts of special privileges.

Wel, those are just some ideas.

I guess if people ask, because they see you acting differently and unusual, you'll need something that will explain it, which doesn't have to be particular, it can be very vague, such as, "I have an anxiety disorder". Or, "I have a disorder". Or, "I have a medical problem." And if they ask what it is, you can say you don't want to go into details, — and then you can explain how they can help you, since what they really want to do is know what to do that would be helpful, so you can educate them on what they can do to help you. What should they do if you have an attack of anxiety?

Also lots of people have this problem. It's not just you. Probably quite a lot of people will understand because they've secretly been having the same issues.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread