TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lauri

OCD - September 3rd 2017, 04:12 AM

So, I don't share this often because its embarrassing. But for a while now like 2 or 3 years now i have had this obsession with my hair part being perfectly straight. That ill brush my hair soo many times until my part is just perfect and even when it is perfect, there seems to be one tiny hair making the part not perfectly straight so then i brush and brush again until my hair part is perfectly straight. Doing this has caused some damage to my hair but nothing noticeable. Its so bad that I put hair spray on each side of my part so it stays down so it doesn't move during the day. Becuase when not in the mirror im thinking to myself is my hair part straight. I just want this to go away. I just want to get out of the shower, find my part, dry my hair and put no hair spray on it and be happy and done with it like normal people do .

I really don't understand why I all of a sudden two to three years ago this obsession started with having to have my hair part perfectly straight and spending hours in the mirror getting it straight. I feel now it may be more of a habit. I would really love to spend less time in the mirror and stop obsessing about my hair part being perfectly straight.

I just want to get out of the shower, find my part, dry my hair and put no hair spray on it and be happy and done with it like normal people do . I have tried many ways to try to stop but nothing yet has completely made me stop obsessing over my hair part being perfectly straight.

Any one else going through this?? Any suggestions even though I feel nothing will take this away. I think it will just take me resisting the urge to fix my hair, not giving in to it. Which is hard but I want this to go away so badly.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ImproveEverday Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: OCD - September 4th 2017, 03:01 AM

I've struggled very badly with OCD in the past, but after months of being brave and just everyday doing a little bit less OCD habits, I've gotten to an almost completely OCD-free life. I challenge you to spend 10 minutes less than you usually would on you're hair tomorrow, even if it's not a perfect part. You'll be okay. Just think about me reassuring you that you will be okay if you ever panic or get anxious. You can do this.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: OCD - September 4th 2017, 03:47 AM

aww thanks

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: OCD - September 4th 2017, 04:39 AM

Hey,

I've never experienced OCD however I have a friend that has. She finds it helpful to not do what it is that she wants to do even if she feels it is necessary because of the OCD. For instance, one of her compulsions is to set her alarm, check it multiple times and then go to bed. She stops herself after the first check. Sometimes, she is not perfect at it but she tries and is doing well right now. From what I understand as well, stress and anxiety will make it worse/more difficult to cope with.Also, if you are stressed or anxious a lot, try to do calming things: listen to sootheing music, color, write, rest, do crafts Etc. to keep yourself busy and your mind off of needing to brush your hair.
It will take time and effort but you can get there.
Hopefully this helps in some way. :-)

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: OCD - September 4th 2017, 04:45 AM

Yeah, i try to do that obviously not give in to the urge to do it. Some days I have really good days and other days it comes back very badly. I do the alarm thing too. I check my alarm multiple times to make sure its set in fear it won't go off an then ill be late for work and then get fired. But yeah just got to slowly try to not give in to the urge to do the compulsion, easier said than done.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Markus Offline
Professional Human

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Marcus

Re: OCD - September 4th 2017, 12:15 PM

Don't stress yourself out, all you need is to be sure of what you are doing the first time you are at it, and I am sure it will work out eventually!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
organizedchaos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Re: OCD - September 5th 2017, 02:43 AM

Hey Lauri,

I have a similar issue, I have trich which is an OCD/anxiety disorder that makes me pull my hair out. I spend a lot of time trying to cover bald spots, and then worrying all the time about whether they're visible or not. I'm actually doing pretty well right now (compared to how bad it's been in the past). Right now all I have to do is throw my hair into a high ponytail or wear a ball cap, whereas a couple years ago I had to use a headband, hairspray, and this hair powder just to leave the house and it took forever!

One thing that helped me was changing my hairstyle. I cut it really short, so everything blended together and it was really fluffy and cute. All I did was cut my hair yet it made me feel so powerful and free and amazing! I never had to really do anything with it, so I thought about it a lot less and actually stopped pulling and being anxious about it for almost a whole year. I know cutting hair can be difficult and emotional for a lot of people, and sometimes even changing a hairstyle, but it's still something to consider!

I hope this helps, and if you ever want someone to talk to I'd love to chat with you!

Kay

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: OCD - September 5th 2017, 04:12 AM

Thanks, organ. I'm sorry, your struggling with that. It's a constant battle I know. I don't pull out my hair. Sometimes brushing it so much when my hair is wet, has pulled a few out but nothing extreme. I just brush until my hair part is perfect and constantly want it perfect. I constantly check if its perfect and brushing over and over until the hair part is straight.

I get it but I don't want to wear my hair up every day. I get it a hair cut might help but I think it also has to do with if you like your hair or not. I hate my hair it's naturally wavy and not a pretty wave at all.

I just hate my hair and even when I straighten it, it doesn't stay straight and my hair flips out which really annoys me. I do need to get a hair cut soon and i know it will make me feel good but that won't take away the obsession to have my hair part straight. Its just hard but I would love to go a whole year as well with not obsessing over my hair part. I think it has some to do that I kind of hate my hair and I miss the old me and i feel not as pretty as i used to be. I guess its life, it will go on.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
organizedchaos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Re: OCD - September 6th 2017, 03:50 AM

I get that, it's not for everyone. I always used to have really long hair, but it got to the point I was so sick and exhausted with it that I called up a hair salon and booked an appointment for that afternoon. I was honestly considering shaving my head, but luckily they talked me out of that lol. I'm a fairly impulsive person so that worked for me, and I'm lazy so not having to brush it was awesome Plus I found out I look way better with short hair than I do long!

If you're not a fan of short hair though, maybe you could try wearing hats or even headbands as a short term solution until you can get a handle on the compulsion. A hat would cover you're entire head, and a headband would help hold it all in one place. You could use it like training wheels almost. That helped me get a handle on my worrying. I gave myself a period of time covering my whole head with bandanas, and not having to worry all the time about whether or not spots were showing gave me the strength I needed to get a handle of my compulsion. Again don't know if this would work for you though, but I hope it helps!

Kay

(#10 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: OCD - September 6th 2017, 04:52 PM

Well I look good with medium length hair, not short short hair. Thanks. Im trying the best i can. Ill try . I do need a hair cut but hate how expensive a womans hair cut is. Around 40 to 50 bucks geezzee.

Closed Thread