TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lauri

legal - mental health - September 4th 2017, 03:05 AM

There is no forum for legal or whatever you want to call it. So ill post here. I'll be 25 in like 27 days. I was just wondering if any one my age or close to my age has ever been on probation or currently on probation. Also wondering any one's therapist ever pressed charges on them? and having to be on probation because a therapist pressed charges on you? Curious how common or not common it is for a therapist to press charges on their patient. Any one out there? Of course, it affects your mental health going through this. Just one of those things you just got to cope with I guess. But how do you deal with not feeling in control if on probation because of some things the court may be forcing you to do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: legal - mental health - September 4th 2017, 09:56 PM

I've not been in that situation but I imagine that a therapist pressing charges on a patient isn't unheard of, even if it seems like there are more people in the opposite situation (patients charging therapists).

Any time there are restrictions, regardless of the situation, it's going to feel pretty frustrating and even unfair at times. I'm not sure how probation works exactly but I guess it helps to keep in mind that it's temporary and perhaps playing by the rules runs in your favour in the long term.

Hope others can offer their suggestions!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: legal - mental health - September 5th 2017, 04:28 AM

lol you have no clue what it's like to be on probation if you never been on it. You could be on it for a year or longer. Thats a long time and yes its not forever but a year or longer is hell of a long time . Yeah, just wondering if there were people that have been on probation because of a therapist. The mental health system is soo messed up.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: legal - mental health - September 5th 2017, 05:40 AM

The legal system doesn't really deal with people who have mental illness all that well because they aren't really given the proper training.

I'm uncertain why your therapist pressed charges and it is unfortunate that it led to that. Probation is definitely difficult to deal with especially because the court can make you do things such as therapy and groups and things like that.

Unfortunately you are pretty much stuck abiding NY the rules or you risk getting into more trouble. My cousin had been on and of probation since he was in 6th or 7th grade and the main reason he was on it so long was because he did not follow the rules and would break probation which would lead to him being sent to jail and then he'd end up back on probation.

I know, my cousin struggled a lot with the rules and constraints of being on probation. It probably would have helped him to have someone to talk to about all that. So, hopefully you have people you can talk to as well.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: legal - mental health - September 5th 2017, 08:13 AM

I've been falsely accused before. It feels really bad.

Legal stuff is scary because it doesn't follow normal rules of human interaction.

I could tell an officer someone I just saved someone's life from the burning building, I rescued them, dragged them to safety, and then I ran across the street to get help. The officer then says I just confessed to jaywalking and that's a crime, and all the good stuff I said doesn't count anything worth beans, they only focus on the one thing that was technically illegal and pursue that.

A friend got beat up by his girlfriend. First she hit him with her car. Then she jumped out of the car and started beating him. He wrapped his arms around her to stop her from beating him. He ended up with a lot of bruises. Then she pressed charges for illegally restraining her, and he went to court, and ended up on probation. The woman got nothing. No one pressed charges against her. My friend explained what happened, and they said he just confessed to illegally restraining her.

So I've learned those officers and detectives are not my friend like I thought they were. Once they think you're a possibly bad person, they'll talk with you and coerce you to say something in exactly the way they want it said so it's incriminating against you. I guess that's why lawyers always say shut up and don't say anything.

Sorry counselor pressed charges against you. Is it a restraining order? Did you hound the counselor too much? Maybe they were afraid you'd accuse them of something, so they went for the "preemptive accusation".

I know another friend who went through probation. But he was an addict trying to get clean. The probation officers were very good at catching relapses. May have saved his life in the long run.

It's also really doubly hard with a mental illness problem. That already makes it difficult to understand what's going on when the brain ain't working right.

My friend the former addict said they stopped seeing him so much after a while, when it became obvious he was doing well. I guess maybe they check a lot during the initial early times.

He did some stupid things. Like he went to a shooting range and had someone take a picture of him
with his cell phone. The probation officer searched his cell phone and found that picture. He was kind of stupid to take that picture in the first place, and dumber to leave it on his cell phone where the PO could find it. He got arrested for that, and had to explain it all to the judge, who warned him sternly and let him go.

The system is kind of, well, different. Like they got rules that don't make any sense, but the officers have to follow those rules because they have to follow the law and the law is kind of screwy. Like, don't tell an officer how you were a hero, because they'll just focus on whatever littler incriminating thing you confess to. They don't care what a great hero you are, none of that counts.

Would be nice if you could meet with other people who've been in this situation before. I bet there are a lot of them! Though unfortunately they may not be the best people to hang around. Kind of got to be careful with that. But the benefits of finding someone else who truly understands because they've been there themselves, that's golden and worth it.

Best wishes. I don't know what's really going on, and even if I did, I'd probably still not understand. It may be something only lawyers understand.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: legal - mental health - September 5th 2017, 10:07 PM

I'm in the U.S by the way. Thanks all. The mental health system is soo messed up and im seeing that the legal system is soo messed up too. Yes police officers are mean and there scary people. They only want to get people in trouble, it sucks. That's so stupid, I don't even get why jay walking is even bad/ why its a crime. Thats so stupid that they didn't see the good you did. Geeze the world is just messed up. You did good del and thats all that matters at the end of the day.

The mental health system is very messed up. Its why I have had to take my mental health into my own hands. I have a B.A in psychology so I do know what im talkign about and i have a lot of experience in the mental health system, mainly bad. I have seen a lot of therapists and all they did to me was hurt me, leave me, over react, stigma and get me in trouble.Yes, this horrible therapist my last one pressed charges on me for harassment. Even though i felt i didn't harass her. I pleaded no contest. Im on probation for a year and 3 months. Which sucks a lot. I have to do some community service, not a lot. ill never ever see a therapist again. All they do is hurt me, leave me and ruin my life.

It sucks I can't ever see a therapist ever again. In a way, I miss having someone to talk to. Always had to do it on my own , so I guess I should be used to it. Been through major depression in the past all by myself. Im truly a fighter, survivor, and resilient. It sucks how messed up the mental health system is. It hurts how much they hurt me and damaged me and made me worse instead of helped me.

The only thing im stressing about is maybe force counseling. Abib oviously ill followthe rules so i can get the hell out of probabtion and get this over with and put this behind me but forced counseling i will not do if it comes to that. They made me do a stupid mental health evaluation only to see if I should be on the mental health caseload or the normal caseload. But then my probation officer also told me when they do the evaluation they can also force counseling. From what I just above. I DO NOT WANT COUNSELING AT ALL and have already told them how forced counseling would not be good at all for me and that staying away from therapists would be best.

So yeah I told them this is so stupid, I was like I have a B.A in psychology so I can just lie on the evaluation so that it comes back normal. So its stupid to make me do the mental health evaluation when I have a B.A in psychology. They think there going to win but nope i always win. So yeah I lied on the mental health evaluation because i want to get on with my life. I want nothing to do with the mental health system anymore. All they have done is ruined my life and hurt me. I want nothing to do with the mental health system at all.

This is causing me a lot of stress waiting for the results of the mental health evaluation even though I am pretty positive it wil come back saying i have no disorders and that i wont be forced to do counsling. But still worried and stressing over waiting for the results. I dont want to do counsling and I dont want to be on the mental health caseload. If they did force counsling on me, I seriously would NOT do it no matter what. They can beat me, put me in jail whatever for not doing it but I stil won't do it. I will be f pissed if i get forced counsling. I already stressed to them how I wil not be doing therapy and how badly I do not want it and how badly my dad agreed and said he doesnt want therapy for me either.

It makes no sense its like giving someone on probation for alchol, alchol. On probation because of a therapist so you then give me a therapist. MAKES NO SENSE. Im praying soo badly that the results come back good and I won't be forced to do counseling, fingers cross.im really stressing, anxiety about waiting for the results. This really sucks. i hate how i had to do the mental health evaluation and now i hate that i may be forced ot do counsling which i wont do if they fore me any ways, ill fight it no matter what.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: legal - mental health - September 5th 2017, 10:23 PM

The reason Jaywalking is illegal is because it can be quite dangerous if people don't do it in an appropriate way. There have been two instances where I have literally had to stop in the middle of traffic because someone was jay walking and they chose to jaywalk at a time when cars were really close. Had I not been able to stop in time I would have hit the person. I had to slam on my breaks and he was still close to my car because he chose to step out in the middle of traffic. If you jaywalk when no cars are coming or even close it isn't a huge deal but a lot of people don't do that.

As for the evaluation, forcing counseling isn't necessarily helpful if someone has had a difficult time with a therapist but sometimes counseling (even forced) ends up helping the people who are on probation and there are a lot of people on probation who do need counseling and will not seek it out unless it is forced. I don't necessarily agree with forcing it but at the same time I have met a few people who have been forced into counseling and ended up benefiting and they continued going to counseling after they were no longer being forced.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Re: legal - mental health - September 5th 2017, 11:30 PM

Yeah, I can see how that would be bad.Obviously, people shouldn't cross the street when there are cars. Well from everything I have been through. Forced counseling or any counseling would not be good for me. Rather I need it or not, it doesn't matter because sadly like I said there is no help for me. I have been through hell and back in the mental health system. I was stupid to keep going back to one just to get hurt over and over. Now is the last straw no more therapists for me. I don't need another one ruining my life and hurting me. Lucky others can see a therapist and get help but nope not me.

I will definitely fight it if I have to do force counseling and I sure as hell won't do it. It will just make me worse. I do so much better and happier when I don't see a therapist. Waiting for the results is causing me soo much anxiety and stress. hurry up results.

Closed Thread