TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Your Local Weirdo
Not a n00b

Name: Kitty

Had A mental breakdown - October 2nd 2017, 08:04 PM

Today I was in school and I had to be in a very large 8+ group activity, It was very scary, I broke down inside I felt my heart beating so fast and my hands would not stop sweating It was horrible , At least I didnt get to talk which is good. Also If my school conselor suspects I have social anxiety and she gives me a test on it and It concludes that i have social anxiety will she have to tell someone other than me?

Do you know how hard it is to write on a flip phone, huh?- Kim Seokjin
-------------------------------------------------------You call that ass you're own we call that silicone, silly girls, with silly boys- Melanie Martinez ( Sippy Cup )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Had A mental breakdown - October 3rd 2017, 03:15 PM

Sorry to hear that you were feeling anxious during the group activity. Maybe you could try focusing on your breathing and take a few deep breaths to help steady your heart rate when you feel anxious? You may find that when you feel less anxious, you won't notice the physical effects of anxiety.

I don't think your school counsellor will tell anyone if she suspects you have social anxiety. She should get your consent before telling anyone (e.g. if she wanted to mention it to your teachers just so you can get support in class). But you could always ask her, just in case.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Last edited by Celyn; October 3rd 2017 at 04:19 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Had A mental breakdown - October 5th 2017, 07:31 AM

Thank you for mentioning your anxiety.

Adults like feedback which helps them chose where to place you in the future. They don't want you to suffer! They would like you to grow (though that's like wanting a plant to grow. It pretty much just happens. Wanting it doesn't make it happen any faster.)

If you have a diagnosis then that gives you a lot of clout and they probably have to make special accommodations for you. Which basically means you get whatever you want. You get to say what you need. Such as, for example, if you are in such a situation again, it should be OK for you to pass if asked to talk and that's too much for you. Knowing you won't have to talk may ease the anxiety a bit. Knowing you can leave and go to a special place (wherever a safe place for you is) can also ease anxiety. If it gets too much, you can leave. (But not just to anywhere, as they'll want to know you are OK. Some people go to the office where they can decompress. Some people feel comfortable sitting in a dark closet. (Seriously, they do, or so I've heard.) Some people like having a heavy weight like a heavy blanket on them. (Temple Grandin (a famous person) discovered she liked being squeezed, so she invented a squeeze device to squeeze her. She'd go lie in it and it would squeeze her sides, and that would activate her (probably the parasympathetic nervous system), and she'd calm down. It worked for her.)

To get over your anxiety, the adults might fear that just hiding away always might in the long run not be beneficial. They might have some idea like if 8 people is too much, the how about 4? Or some smaller number? Find a size that's doable and do that. If you get good at that, then add one more person. Possibly something like that might work.

Or you can practice the Mindfulness Meditation relaxation mind focusing exercises. (I personally believe they actually do work. So many people say so. But it's not an instant thing, it takes a while. It's like exercising a muscle; it will eventually get stronger.) Those mind exercises should slowly train your brain and shift it to a more calm state where you won't be so overwhelmed by a group of 8 people (again don't expect an overnight cure. This stuff may take months to effect such a change. The point is it can be done, slowly, over time. Stress on the other hand can undo it, so mitigating stress and keeping it to a manageable amount is important.)

Best wishes!

Closed Thread