TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Autismscreams Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Overwhelmed - November 8th 2017, 12:09 AM

Ok so I've been doing great for several years and haven't had a meltdown in three years. Last week I started getting overwhelmed constantly. I can't even go out in public anymore without constantly veering overstimulated. I used to be able to go to clubs and be fine though. I can barely finish my shift at work now and I don't even know where to begin. I was unofficially diagnosed with high functioning autism when I was fifteen but never sought an official diagnosis but now idk what to do. Help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Overwhelmed - November 8th 2017, 01:42 AM

Are there any life changes that might have occurred that might be causing this issue? I know that certain things can increase when a person is stressed or has experienced a life changing event. It might help to identify what has triggered this. I also think, if possible, it might be a good idea to look into counseling. If you see a counselor that specializes in autism they should be able to help you find ways to cope with these things especially when they get overwhelming.

Do you have any friend's or family you could lean on for support? I think that having support from those around you could end being helpful.

Here if you'd like to talk as well.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Autismscreams Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Overwhelmed - November 8th 2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
Are there any life changes that might have occurred that might be causing this issue? I know that certain things can increase when a person is stressed or has experienced a life changing event. It might help to identify what has triggered this. I also think, if possible, it might be a good idea to look into counseling. If you see a counselor that specializes in autism they should be able to help you find ways to cope with these things especially when they get overwhelming.

Do you have any friend's or family you could lean on for support? I think that having support from those around you could end being helpful.

Here if you'd like to talk as well.
Lots of helpful family and a fiance. I work for my fiancees brother. As for events; aside from getting shingles, psoriasis, and severe athlete's foot in a single week, not much has happens leading up to this. I had to put my mom in the hospital yesterday: she was suicidal. But that wouldn't have affected me last week. My dad almost took my car away last month(And with no public transit where I live that makes things hard when you can barely walk). But my brother also started talking to me again.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Overwhelmed - November 8th 2017, 12:30 PM

I think some of those events you have mentioned could definitely affect you and make you feel overwhelmed.

We often minimise skin issues, but when we are in pain or feel itchy, it can take it's toll on us. Not only that but it can be a cycle in that when we feel stressed, we can be prone to skin issues flaring up.

I'm curious as to why you think putting your mom in the hospital yesterday for being suicidal wouldn't have affected you last week? Does your mom get suicidal often? It can be upsetting and devastating when our parents struggle with their own mental health, and if it's ongoing, we may end up in a caregiving role and perhaps get used to it. But your mental health is just as important as your mom's so don't be afraid to get professional help for yourself- talking to a doctor about your stress levels can be a good place to start.

All of these events, combined with nearly having your car taking off you, would be stressful enough to make you feel overwhelmed. It's good to know that your brother also started talking to you again. I'm wondering if family know how you feel? We might assume they do, but unless you've told them, they may not be entirely aware of how stressed you feel and how you need their support too.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Autismscreams Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Overwhelmed - November 8th 2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
I think some of those events you have mentioned could definitely affect you and make you feel overwhelmed.

We often minimise skin issues, but when we are in pain or feel itchy, it can take it's toll on us. Not only that but it can be a cycle in that when we feel stressed, we can be prone to skin issues flaring up.

I'm curious as to why you think putting your mom in the hospital yesterday for being suicidal wouldn't have affected you last week? Does your mom get suicidal often? It can be upsetting and devastating when our parents struggle with their own mental health, and if it's ongoing, we may end up in a caregiving role and perhaps get used to it. But your mental health is just as important as your mom's so don't be afraid to get professional help for yourself- talking to a doctor about your stress levels can be a good place to start.

All of these events, combined with nearly having your car taking off you, would be stressful enough to make you feel overwhelmed. It's good to know that your brother also started talking to you again. I'm wondering if family know how you feel? We might assume they do, but unless you've told them, they may not be entirely aware of how stressed you feel and how you need their support too.
I never really told them. They never seemed to fully understand. My brothers and sisters are very protective over me but they don't seem to understand what I go through or what to do for me. My dad's probably the only one who does understand but he's too busy running his clinic, working the E.R., and launching his political career to really be there much. Unless its just as quick as sending money he's too busy ever since he decided to go into politics. And my mom hasn't threatened suicide before but she's an alcoholic and almost died from liver failure a few years ago and then fell of the wagon bad a few months ago and drinks constantly now. As for skin issues... well my feet and hands are peeling, I can barely walk, and it itches everywhere horribly all the time.

Closed Thread