TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Virgil Offline
Not a n00b

Advice - December 12th 2017, 01:12 AM

So, I've been dealing with a lot of mental issues for a while. Depression is a big one, but I've also had severe anxiety, hallucinations, derealization, and dissociation develop over the past year or so. I've tried to commit suicide six times, and I've been self-harming for about half a year now. Everything gets worse when I'm not around people, but I'm a serious introvert, so I just can't win. I get minor hallucinations four to five times a week on average (usually just stuff like things starting to glow or crawling things that disappear if I look at them directly, but I've had auditory and tactile ones too). The only people that listen to me are my friends, real and imaginary. And I'm starting to realize I talk to the imaginary ones more, especially Roman. It gets to the point where it feels as if he's an actual person sometimes. I've also had sporadic issues with paranoia that I can usually break myself out of. In short, I'm mentally screwed, and I almost want to stay that way. But I wanted to ask and see if anyone had advice for coping? Or just not breaking down? Sorry for making such a big post about my problems, but I honestly kinda need the help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Advice - December 12th 2017, 12:05 PM

I would really recommend talking to someone, they're a lot of help. If you're at school, the school counsellor is a good idea.

Don't ever feel sorry for making a post, we're here to help in however way we can.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Advice - December 12th 2017, 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with a lot of mental health issues!

For depression and anxiety, it can help to do things even if you don't really want to (either because depression makes you lethargic or the anxiety makes you worry etc). It's good that you realise that being around people can really help you. Even if you are introverted, it might help a bit to try to challenge yourself to talk to others, even if it's just a short conversation. Remember to take care of yourself too, and that it's okay to cry and get upset, if you feel like it.

Dissociation and derealisation can be difficult to go through. You may want to try some grounding techniques- that is to help you stay focussed in reality. You can try using your senses and listing things that you can see, hear, touch and smell. Perhaps try stamping your feet, touching something with an interesting texture, drinking a cold drink, smelling something strong etc. If things don't seem to work, try to remind yourself that derealisation is just a feeling, and even though it's uncomfortable, it will pass. It may also improve when the depression and anxiety improves as well.

Self-harm and trying to kill yourself is very serious. Maybe you could try looking into alternatives to self-harm? We have a thread here that you might want to check out. It may take a while to find an alternative, but it is worth it. As for wanting to kill yourself, it can help to have some distractions at hand. Whatever is safe and helps to take your mind off the thoughts can help. You can also create a list of numbers to call when you feel suicidal- both friends and hotlines. Sometimes talking can be helpful too.

Have you talked to anyone about how you have been feeling? I know that you spend time talking with your imaginary friend, but what about your real ones? Also, as it's already been suggested, the best way to deal with mental health issues is to talk to a professional- doctor, psychiatrist or counsellor. What you are experiencing sounds difficult and serious, especially with previous attempts at suicide as well as hallucinations and paranoia. Self- help and talking to others can help you to deal with your symptoms, but professionals can give us the help that friends might not be able to give us.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Virgil Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Advice - December 12th 2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Have you talked to anyone about how you have been feeling? I know that you spend time talking with your imaginary friend, but what about your real ones? Also, as it's already been suggested, the best way to deal with mental health issues is to talk to a professional- doctor, psychiatrist or counsellor. What you are experiencing sounds difficult and serious, especially with previous attempts at suicide as well as hallucinations and paranoia. Self- help and talking to others can help you to deal with your symptoms, but professionals can give us the help that friends might not be able to give us.
My friends are great, but they're also busy, since we all load our schedules with tons of hard courses. Sometimes they just don't have the time, and I respect that. The counselor is a bust, because I've tried. My family thinks I'm either making all this up or that it's just me being a moody teenager. Besides, my family's view of mental illness is that it's something you can just wish yourself out of. My mother always makes it about HER experience and how much it hurts HER that I just can't be happy. It's honestly pretty one-sided. So most of the time, my imaginary friends are the sole outlet I have for this kind of conversation, until I started talking on here, of course. Thanks for the advice, though, it looks pretty helpful.

Closed Thread