TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Question How to fight hallucinations? - February 19th 2018, 08:27 AM

Lately I have been really stressed and pressured and as a result I don't sleep well right now. Which in turn has caused my hallucinations to come back.
First only the normal light ones of scratching in the walls when I try to fall asleep. But they are a bit more persistent. Like they are there when I wake up as well and two days ago I started to not only hear them in bed when I'm close to sleep or just waking up.
It was afternoon and there was the scartiching in the walls and the sound of foodsteps behind me when I was outside. And twice I have already registered movement at my sides where there was no movement.
I'm trying really hard to reduce the stress and sleep better but its not so easy right now and until I have finfished my papers this will probably continue.
What I'm worried about is that it has been getting worse and moved beyond my bedroom. I'm terrified that the shadow will come back. He's a hallucination of a figure I had when I was at my worst and eventhough I know and allways knew that ha is a hallucination, he doesn't feel like he is.
And I'm really afraid he will come back and with him the eyes and the bugs will probably reappear as well.
So I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to deal with them? I want to be prepared if they come back. I know there are ways to fight hallucinations, but I only ever fought the scratching in the walls, nothing that I could see. So is there a way to fight those? Does closing my eyes help? I always feel like that would make it worse but if it helps I will try.
Of course I try to not even let them reappear. I have a plan to reduce my stress as far as possible in this situation. I really just want to be prepared so I don't feel as helpless and lost as I did back then.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How to fight hallucinations? - February 20th 2018, 09:02 PM

It's good that you plan on trying to improve your sleep and find ways of lowering and managing your stress. Since these things contribute towards your hallucinations then it's definitely helpful to improve these areas. You might also want to try exercise and mindfulness to see if these will help to keep your stress levels in check.

As for coping with visual hallucinations, you could try closing your eyes for a bit. Maybe even try reaching out and touching the hallucination. I can't imagine how scary they must be but try remembering that it's just an hallucination and it's not going to hurt you.

I hope others can share coping techniques with you!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: How to fight hallucinations? - February 21st 2018, 06:03 AM

Hey Oliver,

I see how scary this might be for you, but it sounds like you're doing great at looking at ways to improve your life to help yourself. Have you ever been on medications for this? If it has helped in the past or you think it might help now, it's worth asking someone about.

First, I'd try not to think into it so much. If you get yourself freaked out that it is going to happen, you might convince yourself to make it happen, if that makes sense. Second, when you have these hallucinations you should try to ground yourself. Check all your 5 senses and talk yourself through what you know is real. For example, if you're sitting in your bed, you can probably feel the blankets and maybe you're warm or cold or whatever. Then consider what you can smell, is there a candle or cleaning supplies or whatever there is. Then, go through taste, hear, and see. Continue cycling through these to remind yourself of what you know to be real. You can also try turning on music if your hallucinations are auditory, as then you'll know if you can hear it over the music it probably is not real.

Good luck! And if you get too overwhelmed find a hotline to call or a friend who understands.

Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: How to fight hallucinations? - February 27th 2018, 07:41 AM

Thanks Holly and thanks Maria
Medication is not something I want to look into, at least not as long as I can pinpoint the source of my hallucinations and can tell them appart from reality. If it gets worse though I'll make sure to talk with my doctor.

Thanks a lot for the ideas! I've been practicing breathing technics and that grounding so that I know how to do it, should I need it. Though up till now there thankefully have been no more hallucinations appart from the scratching in the walls.
I also tidied up, which surprisingly helped a lot. Because there is less clutter and cloth lying around that my mind could mistake for something else. And it helps with the noises as well because I can look to where the source of the noise is and see that there is nothing there.
And Maria, I think you are absolutely right. The more I get scared of the shadow the more likely it will be, that he will actually appear. So now that I'm practicing grounding and breathing I feel a bit more prepared and am less scared so I'm rather confident he will not appear. At least not in the near future. And if he does, I at least have something to fight back

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread