TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Stress/anxiety relief (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t155178-stress-anxiety-relief/)

Adele101 March 8th 2018 08:03 PM

Stress/anxiety relief

Hello,
So, I'm just done with trying to deal with my thoughts and whatnot.
I don't think I'll be able to go to the doctor for antidepressants, if I get diagnosed with depression or anxiety anytime soon.
Does anyone have any suggestions for pills or tablets that help reduce stress that can be bought over the till? Like things that I don't need to show my ID for. I'm turning 18 very soon so I'm not putting my life at risk by taking these stuff.
Fyi I live in the uk.
Thanks

Celyn March 10th 2018 08:54 PM

Re: Stress/anxiety relief

I'm wondering why you don't think you'll be able to go the doctors? You don't necessarily need to be diagnosed in order for doctors to prescribe anti depressants or medication for anxiety. And there's always the option of being referred for talking therapy such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, often used to help with depression and anxiety.

Are you able to go to a pharmacy and have a chat with a pharmacist? They may be able to recommend over the counter treatment, if they think that it's suitable. A lot of things that are sold in pharmacies for stress and mental health are often herbal and alternative, so it's always good to get an opinion from a professional, such as a pharmacist, before buying.

Mirabelle March 23rd 2018 05:37 PM

The advice that Ceylyn gave was excellent.

Additionally, I recommend deep breathing exercises because they will significantly lower your stress levels and anxiety, too. I get occasonal bouts of anxiety, but it gets dealt with from this lovely easy breathing and relaxion technique my aunt gave. It really is very good! :)

1. I take a long, slow breath in through my nose, first filling my lower lungs, then my upper lungs.

2. I hold my breath and slowly count 1-2-3.

3. Then I exhale slowly through partly closed lips, while slackening my shoulders to relax them.

Controlling your breathing this way helps bring anxiety right down!

There is another breathing technique I use that could be helpful. This is a relaxation technique that I use when stressed. I particularly like the colour green; the colour helps relax me.

Choose a word or a phase. Example: Lake; Sea; River; Blue sky; Green fields as far as the eye can see; Twilight, even.

Sit quietly in a relaxing and comfortable position, close your eyes and relax your muscles. Breath slowly, repeating your focus word(s) in your mind as you exhale. If everyday thoughts intrude, let them go and return and continue this for ten to twenty minutes.

I use these breathing techniques any time when feeling suddenly anxious. Also, each time I remember that I managed to endure the last fright-and-flight feeling, it feels like I've becoming stronger. So try these and stay with them a while.

Do let me know how you get on.

Wishing you all the best, :)

-Belle

Honeybadger40 March 24th 2018 12:14 AM

Hi there,

As another user has already said, can we ask why you don't feel you are able to go to a doctor to get help? There's lots of options to treat depression. Diagnosis isn't usually a long and difficult process now. General practitioners are more equipped to deal with mental health problems today, and can sometimes diagnose depression and anxiety themselves in a short session. You may also be able to have talking therapies alongside or instead of medication.

As far as I know, you are not able to purchase anti depressant medication over the counter. You can purchase some herbal remedies like St. John's Wort over the counter but the effectiveness of these products is questionable and some that are sold in independent stores are not safe to use.

I can however suggest some self help strategies to help you cope with stress and anxiety if you don't want to or cannot get help from a professional:

1. Develop a stress tool kit box - think of a few activities you can do when you feel stressed that will provide a distraction/an outlet from the feeling. Pick things you enjoy!

2. Breathing exercises - deep breathing and meditation really helps me. You can download free apps to your phone to help you get started with these things. I downloaded one called HeadSpace to get me started. You do have to pay for some programmes but the trial period (ten days) is free.

3. Reframe problems - rethink the problems. Try to see things in a more positive light. For example, rather than worrying and panicking about starting a new job, see it is an experience you likely will make mistakes during but remember that you can learn and gain new skills from those mistakes.

4. Self care - eat well and eat regularly, and get plenty of sleep. Physical activity can also help. You don't have to run marathons, remember that any exercise is better than no exercise at all :)

5. Talk it out - talk to friends and family members about how you feel. Even if they can't offer solutions, it's good to be able to let the feelings out of your system a bit. If you can't talk to others, perhaps you could write your feelings down every so often instead?

Take care.
Honey :)

Adele101 March 24th 2018 12:14 PM

Thank you all for your advice :hug: