TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

hallucinations? - June 3rd 2018, 05:38 AM

(idk whether to put this thread in Mental Health or Eating Disorders because it's kinda both)

I was talking to my therapist today and described certain visual experiences... one was about a big red truck in the middle of the road I was running (with an old man staring at me) and the other was a bunch of people shooting their bows. She told me that everything I was explaining makes her certain that I was hallucinating. I also struggle with Atypical Anorexia. She said that she thinks it is related to the ED but I should write down the context of that day and frequency of hallucinations... that way we can know for sure what is causing it.

My question is, does anyone else experience hallucinations related to eating disorders. I've never heard of it in that context before. I don't want to tell my parents about what happened because they might worry about me. They might think I'm going insane and wonder if I'm even safe.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: hallucinations? - June 3rd 2018, 10:11 AM

Hey there,

You are not insane. When we struggle with eating disorders there are a lot of different things that can result because we are starving our bodies of the necessary nutrients. I didn't ever hallucinate but I did have auditory hallucination when I was restricting and doing a lot of ed related stuff. I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and he assured me that it was probably due to lack of sleep and the fact that I was not getting enough nutrients. It's possible that this is similar to what you are experiencing. I agree that you should document things so you and your therapist can try and work on figuring out if their are triggers for the hallucinations and to figure out what might be causing it. I know this is a scary thing to be experiencing but please trust your therapist. Hopefully the more you work on this the better you two will be at finding a solution.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: hallucinations? - June 3rd 2018, 03:29 PM

Thank you. What scares me the most is that I’ve never heard of ED patients experiencing visual hallucinations... just auditory. And when it happens it is really frightening because I legitimately think I’m in danger and I can’t finish my workout.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: hallucinations? - June 3rd 2018, 07:26 PM

I can't say much about the visual hallucinations as I have not experienced that. However, it's important to know that these types of things are on a spectrum. Just because visual hallucinations might not be as common does not mean that it can not happen to some people. I would suggest that you continue working with your therapist because it is likely that if you do that, the two of you will be able to figure out the cause and then work on figuring out the best way to try and cope with it.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mikola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mikola

Re: hallucinations? - June 8th 2018, 09:37 AM

God, i know one mate that had such thing. He ate some kind of poison plant, i dunno. But he was running and screaming. It was scary.

Closed Thread