TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Can I ask this? - June 22nd 2018, 03:24 AM

So I wanted to make an appointment with my psychiatrist, I havenít seen him in 3 months but I wanted to ask him if he could evaluate me for bipolar disorder because Iíve just been really concerned. Either my depression has gotten much worse or I have bipolar disorder. But I donít know if Iím allowed to do that. Like can I just go into the appointment and ask him to test me for something or do I have to wait for him to suggest an evaluation? I feel like just asking that he test me for something is suspicious, like heíll think Iím making it up or doing it for attention but at the same time, I donít want to wait and Iíd rather get tested ASAP

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Can I ask this? - June 22nd 2018, 03:35 AM

I think the best thing to do would be starting a log of symptoms. Make note every time you believe you are showing a symptom of bipolar disorder. Do not look up these symptoms and try to make comparison via Google or those "medical" or pseudopsychology websites. So, if you stay committed to it until your appointment, you will have composed enough that maybe you can show him and he will decide what to do regarding it then.

I would not go to your appointment and just tell him you believe you have bipolar disorder without showing him evidence as to why you believe it. He will probably ask if you looked it up on those phoney medical or psychology websites. If you say yes, whether or not you kept a viable log, he may not prescribe the appropriate course of treatment if you do have bipolar disorder.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Re: Can I ask this? - June 22nd 2018, 09:47 AM

Thanks, I've started writing down my symptoms and I've decided I just won't tell him I think I have bipolar disorder. I'll just tell him like what I've been struggling with and then he can make a decision based on that. And I did email the center to make an appointment, which is apparently okay but they didn't email me back so I'll just call them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Can I ask this? - June 23rd 2018, 03:03 AM

There are mood trackers that might be better at helping you keep log of things. I know some doctors request that their patients use the trackers because the logs give a decent idea of what is going on and some come with a graph. The mood tracker is not a tool that can be used to diagnose though so you'd still have to talk to your doctor.

Asking for an evaluation isn't something that should be suspicious. A lot of patients have to discuss new symptoms with doctors and if you are having new symptoms and want an evaluation that is your right. They don't really test for bipolar, per se, there are just tools they use to determine symptoms and diagnosis. I don't know what is involved in all that as it's been some time since I have been evaluated.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread