TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

I feel like the only way people will take me seriously is if I hurt myself - July 12th 2018, 11:34 PM

I hate it I say to my friends I feel sad today or show signs that I am down and they just say sort it out or something along those lines. I get everyone has their own personal problems but I don't think people know how serious mine are I feel like if i hurt myself quite badly maybe people will take me more seriously why do I have to feel like this obviously I am not gonna do it but thats how it makes me feel. No one takes me seriously

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I feel like the only way people will take me seriously is if I hurt myself - July 15th 2018, 02:35 PM

I'm sorry to hear that no-one takes you seriously. I'm glad to hear that you won't hurt yourself, though I understand how you feel that is an option if no-one is listening to you and taking you seriously.

Sometimes people don't understand mental health issues. They might think that 'depression' is just another word for 'sadness' and that you can just 'get over it'. Or sometimes people might not understand that the things that are getting you down are big concerns to you. Do you think it might help to talk to your friends about mental health in general, and perhaps help them to try to understand that it's not something you can just sort it out?

While friends and family can try to help us, another option is professional help whether that's medication, counselling, group therapy, career or life coaches etc. There are people out there who will listen, and will take you seriously. Keep reaching out

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: I feel like the only way people will take me seriously is if I hurt myself - July 15th 2018, 09:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear your friends are not listening to you. However, hurting yourself or threatening to is not the way to go about it; I am glad you won't hurt yourself! Have you considered talking to them, not necessarily about everything that's going on with you; but just like about mental health and how people struggle severely with depression, feel as if they're isolated from the world due to that, and so forth? If they are receptive (react positively or empathetically) then perhaps you can open up a bit more about what's going on with you. I think if they are your true friends, they would want you to.

I agree with Holly in that it might be a good idea to seek out professional support, whether or not your friends are as receptive or understanding about mental health and what you are going through.

Best of luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Allyson Wood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel like the only way people will take me seriously is if I hurt myself - July 25th 2018, 10:09 AM

I've been there. I know you feel so alone and that you only want to get their attention. But if hurting yourself is your solution, then it's only temporary. They might notice you for a moment..but after that.. they won't. Find your purpose. Talk to the right people. Find things to do rather than chasing those people who don't value you. Love yourself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I feel like the only way people will take me seriously is if I hurt myself - July 25th 2018, 08:00 PM

It might help if you were just super honest. Just saying "I'm sad today" may not be enough for them to understand how you are really feeling. If you say "hey, I've really been struggling and I've been thinking about hurting myself" that lets them know where you really are. If you only give them a piece of the puzzle and expect them to want to figure out the rest, that isn't really fair on them. If you don't tell them, they aren't going to know.

And like you said, everyone struggles with something. A lot of people don't talk about their problems. Or they thinks that they are giving signals to you, that you aren't picking up on, because you can't read their mind. It can go both ways sometimes.

So the best way around that is to be really honest about how you feel. Let them know what's going on. And then let them help you in however they feel comfortable doing so. Some people are just really bad at comforting others. I personally don't like hugging people. But some people LOVE hugging people to comfort them, they crave it. So don't take it personally on how they react. Just accept your friends for the way they are, like you want them to accept you for the way you are.

And remember, at the end of the day, your friends are not responsible for helping you through any mental health struggles you are having. Yes, they are be there for you and comfort you. But if you want someone to really help you through this, you need to be speaking to a mental health professional.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread