TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Romaness Offline
esperando las calaveras
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sue

How to motivate myself when feeling down? - August 15th 2018, 06:40 PM

Hello everybody,
in June/July I was really motivated and stuff, I even wrote a long story and I enjoyed all the trips I went on. However, recently I've come back from a trip to the mountains and since then I've been feeling low. I don't want to spend the rest of the holidays eating fast food and playing pc games all day - instead I'd prefer to read books, write, draw etc. but I don't have the motivation anymore.
Maybe it's the perspective of the school year approaching, I don't know. Besides I've got seasonal depression that usually starts September/October and so I'm kinda fearing it, which is why I would be grateful for all the tips on how to motivate myself.

Thanks so much and have a wonderful day
Sue

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How to motivate myself when feeling down? - August 19th 2018, 11:44 PM

I think it's kind of common to come back from a trip and feel a bit low. You go away to escape day to day life and when you come back, it can be a bit difficult adjusting back into the daily grind of things.

When it comes to motivation, there are a few things you can try. You might want to do something that you know or have previously enjoyed as it's almost guaranteed to make you feel a bit better. Or you can try to spice things up and do something new and different as this will keep things interesting for you. Or perhaps just accepting that you don't have much motivation to do things might help. Sometimes trying to force ourselves to be happier or more motivated can have the opposite affect. So if you do find yourself playing pc games all day for the rest of the holiday- try not to be hard on yourself!

Seasonal depression sounds difficult to deal with, especially if it coincides with the start of the new school year. I'm wondering how you manage your seasonal depression? I've not dealt with seasonal depression but something that helps me is to plan for things. For example, if you know there are certain times or certain things you will struggle with, plan for extra self-care. You might also want to create a routine or schedule to deal with school work as you get it rather than feeling unmotivated and then having to rush it.

As hard as it is, try not to fear the seasonal depression. Fearing it may just prolong the depression and make you feel worse in the long run.

I hope that you try to be gentle on yourself during this difficult time and I also hope that you have others to talk to as well!

HelpLINK Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Romaness Offline
esperando las calaveras
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: How to motivate myself when feeling down? - August 27th 2018, 10:47 AM

Thank you for your reply Holly

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: How to motivate myself when feeling down? - August 27th 2018, 01:59 PM

I must confess that this happened to me at some point when I am terribly frustrated with math. (which is still happening right now, so I know very well)

And the worse is that I feel very, very guilty for slacking. So I do more math/other work just to fill up the "wasted time". But this doesnt make me feel good either. In the end I only hate doing what I used to love. I am even more depressed.

Yet I choose to stick to it, instead of give in to other distractions. The thing is that the damage was made, so I didn't felt interested or motivated again immidiately. But it does pay off, eventually the guilt of slacking fades off over time and I see that I didn't choose to slack. I know in my heart that this is a good choice, and this itself made me a bit more motivated. Eventually the interest came back bit by bit over time.

I know that when you ask this question in the post, you knew that you don't actually want to play so much games (aka slacking), and you don't like it. So my advice is striaghtforward, don't do them if you know you actually don't want to. Or, conversely, play and rest if ever you feel like it (and that you feel you do want a rest after lots of work!). The rule is to honestly ask yourself whether you need/want a rest or not, or you are slacking because of the demotivation.

Everyone is different, and I am still stuggling with my frustration of feeling demotivated (even if it's better), but I hope you will get better over time, and it sure will if you don't give in to them!

I hope the best for you, think of the future (like college and uni that you want to study), and try your best

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
Closed Thread