TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Telling my therapist I'm suicidal - August 19th 2018, 06:10 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[SIZE="a"]Hey! I wasn't really sure where to put this, so feel free to move it if need be.

I'm not really sure how to start this, so I guess I'll just get straight to the point. I've been feeling horribly depressed and have been self-harming for around 5 years now, and I recently began going to therapy after talking to my parents a few times about it (I'm still a minor). I'm going to be having my second session with my therapist really soon, and while I probably won't bring it up when I go this time around, I know that for my safety I need to talk to her about the suicidal thoughts I've been having of late. I won't really go in to details, but things are slowly going from suicidal ideation to intent. It's... really scary to be honest, and I know I need to get help for it. I'm worried about myself because I know how self destructive and impulsive I can be sometimes.

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, how should I go about bringing it up to the therapist? I'm really scared to talk about it in front of my parents and they'll be there for a couple of the first few sessions because they're both required to and want to be there, and I want them to be there too. And then I guess when I do talk to them about it, what will happen? Will they try to send me to a mental hospital or a psych ward or whatever one wants to call it?[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Name: Me

Re: Telling my therapist I'm suicidal - August 19th 2018, 06:30 AM

I believe they'll ask your parents to keep an extra eye on you, to make sure you aren't trying to commit suicide, but they won't send you to a psych ward. The therapist's intentions are to help you, and that can be scary. When you sit down with them and they ask you how you're feeling, take a deep breath and just talk about the suicidal thoughts, the best you can. The sooner you get it out the sooner you'll get better.

It's a big step to do so, but everyone here and I believe you can do it!

Good Luck! I hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

I can reach out
To someone not like me
If you ask for help it doesn't make you weak

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Telling my therapist I'm suicidal - August 20th 2018, 12:50 AM

Hey,

I want to start out by saying that it is really great that you are considering telling your therapist about your suicidal thoughts. I think that in the long run, this will help them to help you since they know the extent of what is going on.

I don't think they'll necessarily recommend hospitalizing you unless they believe that you are in danger of acting on these thoughts. It may be an option that they bring up (it was brought up to me a few times without immediate intent and I didn't end up going), BUT that doesn't mean it will be the ONLY option they may bring up. For example, they may discuss a safety plan for at home, such as your parents keeping an eye on things that you may use to harm yourself or keeping them somewhere safe. So, basically your therapist would probably want to sit down with you and your parents and assess your risk level. If you're in immediate danger, they might suggest you go to a hospital.

If the suggestion is brought up, perhaps you can discuss what this would actually mean for you in general, such as what the hospital would be like? While I don't have much experience with hospitalization, the way I understand it is the goal would be to get you to a more stable place overall.

One way you can do it is by writing your therapist a letter that you give to her. I know it may feel scary watching her read this letter, especially with your parents in the room, but I found this to help me because I would be able to say everything I need to say without being able to back out of it. She'd still want to tak to you about it of course, but at least this way the main points would be out.

If not, I agree with the previous poster that when your therapist asks if anything's going on/how you're feleing/etc, this would be a good time to bring it up and let her know that you have been having suicidal thoughts. It can be scary to be so straightforward, but at least this way you wouldn't be beating around the bush and you'd have it out in the open. Something along the lines of, "I've actually been having some suicidal thoughts lately that I want to talk about," or even starting off with "There's something important I need to say."

Please try to be as honest as possible with this. Your safety and health are the most important things, and you deserve to feel better and be in a better place overall. The fact that you said you are scared for your safety is what concerns me, so I hope you'll feel able to tell her soon.

I wish you the very best of luck. Keep us updated if you'd like!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
Closed Thread