TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FURYORU Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy I'm Explosive - July 30th 2019, 02:59 AM

Maybe 'explosive' isn't the best way to put it.

Alright, so. I am... struggling with how easy it can be for me to lose my temper. And I've been victimising myself as of late, I've had thoughts of harming myself because I'm so stressed with myself that I couldn't take it. My family doesn't help either, friends? They're not willing to help me out in this sort of matter, they're inexperienced and unsure of what they can do. And a huge and important trial of an exam is around the corner so my stress heightened, especially knowing that I have something that I want especially if I pass and if I don't pass? God, I don't know anymore! I've got assignments that need refining, but knowing I also need to keep up with other things correlating to college is just fueling the fire. I'm just tired, guys. Frustrated, too. I just... help me? Please? Someone? I'm losin' my mind over here, and I hate the feeling of wanting something that can be categorised as somewhat expensive. My father can afford it, sure, but I just... the feeling, I hate it, I hate this feeling of needing or wanting something!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: I'm Explosive - July 30th 2019, 08:11 PM

My best suggestion would be to find an outlet that works for you. This will require patience and a willingness to try different things until you find something(s) that work. But if you let this stress get to you you will end up harming yourself in one way or another and that's really not a good thing. You deserve to be healthy and happy. Stress can get in the way of that, but if you find appropriate ways to deal with it it can be easier to manage. My go-to suggestion is something physical that you can do with whatever limitations you have. Even something as simple as going for a walk can be great, or doing calisthenics at home (jumping jacks, push-ups, etc.). Getting those endorphins going can really dissipate stress, and movement is great for your body!

Another potential outlet is something creative. Even if you feel you're bad at it, studies show that those with a creative outlet are happier than those who don't engage in such pursuits. Personally, I enjoy painting and drawing with chalk pastels. There are SO many mediums out there for artwork, from oil paints to collage- anything goes! It doesn't even have to be visual media- you can write! A short story, a poem, even just the outline of a story; anything to get those juices flowing. Or, alternatively, you can read and get lost in a story. If you like fanfiction you can support other authors and build a sense of community with people who share your fandoms. My roommate is really into that and I've seen how happy it makes her.

I also suggest practicing mindfulness. Focus on what you are doing in the moment. If you are walking, think about each step you are taking. If you are washing dishes, focus on the scrubbing/loading of the dishwasher. Use your five senses. When you sense you are getting upset, do the five senses: name five things you see, four things you can touch, three things you hear, two things you smell, and one thing you taste. I've found it to be particularly helpful in moments of distress.

Hopefully these ideas appeal to you. There's always more out there if not! Good luck and PM me if you need anything else.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I'm Explosive - August 5th 2019, 08:30 PM

Hey there (and welcome to TeenHelp by the way!)

I think it's natural to find that you struggle with your temper more so when you are feeling stressed and tense and have been feeling this way for a while. You don't want to explode in anger, but equally you don't want to keep this to yourself or self-harm either.

I agree with the above in finding an outlet. If you're looking for ideas on alternatives to self harm, as well as heaps of other ideas for self-care you can check out our coping methods resource here.

I'm sorry to hear that your family doesn't help much and your friends don't know what to do. It does seem like you could benefit from some emotional support, even just to vent about things. Is there anyone else you could talk to? Remember that we are always here for you too!

College can definitely be a stressful time trying to keep on top of the work. If you aren't already doing so, it can help to prioritise your work load and try to do a bit everyday (rather than trying to get all the work done in one go). It's also difficult when you are trying so hard and feeling like you really need to pass and do well to go onto other things. Remember that you have a lot of options in life and even if, worst case scenario, things don't work out for you, there's always other options. I agree with the above that doing mindfulness meditation as well as practicing mindfulness in your day to day life can be help in dealing with these kinds of thoughts and feelings.

Hope this helps a bit and best of luck with your exams!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!