TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Medication and ED - April 6th 2018, 02:00 PM

I am on a medication that causes appetite suppressant. I have been on it for years and the side effect ends up going away but ... it's said to cause 'anorectic effects'. I know it will fade but it's kind of triggering my ed. I cannot go off the medication because it's one of the only one's that has balanced me out.

I am trying to remind myself to eat at least a little bit once a day. I sometimes find myself thinking ... you haven't eaten and you should just not today. I had that happen yesterday and so I told my boyfriend I was hungry and we ate something.

He knows I haven't been eating as much but I haven't really told him that it's causing me to want to get back into starvation.

I know this medication helped me a lot back when I was initially in my ED and by the time it wore off I was still struggling but my appetite went away.

I don't want that to happen but I have a weight loss goal or the year and this not eating will help and I am torn.

Anyone have advice? I can talk to my doctor about coping as I have an appointment but I can't get in with a therapist till next month due to an issue with income. I also cannot go off the medication so I need to figure it out. I am thinking of putting a reminder in my phone.

I am still eating but usually only one meal a day or just little bits here and there because I just am not hungry.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Medication and ED - April 10th 2018, 04:29 PM

Don't have any advice, sorry, but do think it's best to talk to your doctor. I also think that putting a reminder in your phone can help, or perhaps getting your boyfriend a bit more involved in gentle reminders to eat, if he has noticed you are eating less.

If you're not hungry, then it's bound to be annoying trying to get yourself to eat. Small meals and eating bits throughout the day is better than nothing. Perhaps slowly try to increase this?

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Medication and ED - April 10th 2018, 09:46 PM

I think my appetite might have come back a bit. That might change after tomorrow as I imagine my doctor is going to increase the medication. However, if it only lasts a few weeks I should be able to keep myself healthy. I was just getting worried that it was going to last longer since it had in the past. If it lasted too long I could have seen it fueling my ED.

Thank you for taking the time to respond though. That definitely meant a lot.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Medication and ED - April 11th 2018, 01:38 PM

It makes sense that you would be concerned about the length of time it lasted, and understandable that it could end up fuelling your ED. Hope the doctor can help though.

Keep us updated if it helps

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meera

Points: 9,604, Level: 14 Points: 9,604, Level: 14 Points: 9,604, Level: 14

Re: Medication and E - April 11th 2018, 09:19 PM

It is understandable that you are concerned about it fuelling your ED. Maybe you could see if your DR could do frequent medication reviews. I think putting a reminder on your phone to eat is a good idea, also to add to that you could put your reminders to eat at similar times each day .

"Never forget what you are,the rest of the world will not. Wear it like an armor and it can never be used to hurt you."
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Medication and ED - April 12th 2018, 03:54 PM

He didn't change my medication. We left everything the same which was a bit disappointing as I don't think I am as balanced as I should be. That being said, my appetite has gone back to normal-ish. For now I think it should be fine.

Thank you both for the responses.
Closed Thread