TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/)
-   -   Bottling emotions (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/t160217-bottling-emotions/)

Unregistered June 18th 2020 09:32 AM

Bottling emotions

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]So I have this problem where most of the time I can't feel anything emotionally, like the other day one of my best friends parents died and I hate to say it like this but it was like I couldn't care less. In my head I knew I should at least be sad for her, I didn't know her parents so it would make sense for me not to feel strongly about it, but I knew I should at least be the smallest bit sad for her, but I wasn't. It's like I'm bottling my emotions but it's not, I am trying to feel something but as I said before I it was like I just didn't care. Anyway that's what I'm like most the time, just uncaring floating through life because I have nothing better to do, but then every now again I suddenly get a surge of emotion and have a mental breakdown, usually in the middle of the night, and then I can't get back to sleep. It's like I cant feel anything and then I get it all suddenly and it overwhelms me and I breakdown. I don't know what's wrong with me. Its starting to effect my life severely, I can't focus for more than three minutes and then I just drift off because I don't care and then hours later I wake up suddenly and get so stressed about all the work I need to do and the little amount of sleep I have. I don't know what to do.[/size][/color][/font]

Garyl June 23rd 2020 12:15 AM

Re: Bottling emotions

Hey there. Sorry you haven't gotten a response yet.

We are not doctors and cannot diagnose you, but you're not alone in what you are experiencing. Depression, for example, is a common affliction, and often comes with a lack of feeling. While lack of feeling isn't unique to depression that's where I've personally seen it happen most (again, not a doctor). It sounds like you might be experiencing some anxiety-related issues as well. Breakdowns like the ones you describe can be known as "panic attacks." They're also relatively common.

No one deserves to suffer like you're suffering, and you deserve a happy, healthy life, full of emotional variation. Have you considered talking to a therapist? They may be able to help you work through this barrier that you have to feeling and help you express your feelings in healthy ways. Additionally, a psychiatrist might be able to help you with a diagnosis and perhaps provide medication that could improve your symptoms.

Aside from professional help, are you active with any hobbies? Do you see friends? When we're not feeling well these things can be hard to do, but they're important parts of life. Getting back in touch with our hobbies, or finding new ones, can help soothe ourselves. It's good to keep in touch with people, too, even if it's just a text message saying you're thinking about someone.

I know what I suggested above may seem silly or maybe even frustrating to do, but speaking from experience it can really be helpful. If you can't do it, too, that's okay. You need to honor your body as much as you can. Do what you can, when you can, and don't worry about the rest.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need anything.