TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

Post Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 22nd 2009, 10:45 PM

I am 16 and I was just prescribed a low does of Zoloft for anxiety. My dad is on Zoloft and I have the same condition as him so my doctor felt that if helped him so much that it would help me too.

I am afraid though because the increased risk of suicide. I mean I sometimes have thoughts about that but they scare the crap out of me and I would never do anything but I am afraid when I start taking Zoloft that I am not going to be in control of my actions/thoughts and I am going to do something really stupid. I mean do I really have anything to worry about??

I am on zoloft for ocd and anxiety, but I think I might have slight depression too...

I haven't started taking it yet because I am scared of the side effects.

I figured teenagers who have maybe taken it before could tell me there experiences with it, and maybe make me feel better. Thanks so much =)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kelsey

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 23rd 2009, 03:25 PM

Hey there. I understand your worry, but you shouldn't freak yourself out about it. I'm on Zoloft, and it has worked wonders. Everyone is different though. If you start thinking about suicide, or have any other side effects, you need to tell your doctor/psychiatrist immediately, along with your parents. Medicine can be wonderful, but there are some risks. My psychiatrist told me that Zoloft is pretty safe, and is successful 98-99% of the time. So there are only really 1-2% of people who have bad side effects.

I really hope it works out with you! Feel free to PM me anytime.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 23rd 2009, 03:44 PM

I am on a different anti-depressant that is very similar to Zoloft. In fact, I think it's also an SSRI (which helps with seratonin release). Anyway. xD
I think the correlation between suicide and Zoloft is not causal. In other words, I don't think Zoloft CAUSES suicide. My parent is a doctor so he discussed this with me in-depth.
Think about the population that is given Zoloft. Those who are depressed...anywhere from a minor depression to a major depression. Those with major depression might not see the effects of Zoloft for a few weeks (as it takes SSRIs time to work...it is very gradual) and then, under the depression, commit suicide.
Because this is such a high-risk population, it seems that the results are causal with the use of Zoloft when really...they are not.
In conclusion: You should be just fine. Don't forget to take it because the withdrawals are atrocious (I skipped 3 days on accident once).

Live and let live.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 26th 2009, 03:50 AM

I am not on it myself, but medically speaking, it should actually decrease any thoughts of suicide that you have. However, it can increase them in different individuals, but either way, you can't know until you try it. If it makes you feel more safe, maybe hang around a friend or relative on your first try, and good luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 27th 2009, 01:07 AM

I have OCD, generalized anxiety disorder, and moderate depression, and I have taken Zoloft before. I didn't stay on it but not because of an increase in suicidal tendencies. I had some other side effects.

The key is to pay attention to your body and mind. One thing you can do is keep a journal. Every day, rate your depression, anxiety, and the like as well as noting any specific episodes (panic attacks, suicidal thoughts, compulsive behaviors). This way you can keep track of symptoms that may worsen and notify your doctor.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 27th 2009, 11:45 AM

Hey there Courtney,

It's understandable that you're a bit cautious about taking medication for your anxiety - a lot of people are often a little unsure about taking medication because of side effects.

You have to realise that medication is prescribed to you in your best interests by your doctor (plus, it's great that your father has seen positive effects with the medication - that's really great and really promising).

All medication has some negative side effects, however, it doesn't mean that you're going to suffer from all of the side effects. I'm sure that your doctor has evaluated the side effects and assessed which medication would be best for you. They will have taken into account the side effects.

Your medication could help you a lot, Courtney, but you have to give it a chance. The chance of you getting these suicidal thoughts are really quite low (if it was high or common, the drug wouldn't be used, infact it is only 3 to 5 percent) whereas the chance of you getting some sort of benefit from the medication is a lot higher.

If worst comes to worst and you do start feeling a little more depressed then you can always go back to your doctor (do NOT stop taking them suddenly) and talk to your doctor about your medication - i'm sure they'd be more than happy to discuss things with you.

Take care.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 27th 2009, 04:24 PM

Hi Courtney,

It's great that you're trying to stay informed about the medications you are taking. However, try not to work yourself up; your doctor would not have prescribed this medication if he or she thought it could harm you. Medication companies are forced to write these warnings, because there is a small chance that these negative side effects could occur. That does NOT mean it will definitely happen to you.

Just stay aware of your emotions and how you are feeling. If your symptoms begin to increase or you notice new ones, call your doctor right away. Most likely, you will be able to avoid increased suicidal thinking all together.

Take care, and good luck. Zoloft is an excellent medication, and could help you a lot in the long run.

"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 27th 2009, 05:28 PM

I was going to be put on this for my Anxiety, woo. I didn't really read into the side effects of it though, like said, if the doctor thought it would harm you, he or she wouldn't of given it you. Hope it goes well as it could be what I'm taking in the future!

"All the haters I swear, they look so small from up here..."

tumblr. | facebook
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - July 31st 2009, 10:09 PM

Do you think taking it will help me with my obsession to a tv show??

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - August 5th 2009, 09:48 PM

Hey Courtney

I took Zoloft for a while. Long story short, it just made me feel numb so I stopped taking it. I'm pretty much an outlier on that front; antidepressants do work for a lot of people.

I don't think Zoloft will make you do anything, or make you lose control of your actions, but strictly speaking, this is a conversation you should be having with your doctor.

If your obsession to the TV show is because of your depression, the Zoloft might help...I stress might because I'm not a medical professional and all I can tell you is the experiences I've had.

If your suicidal thoughts get worse after you start taking Zoloft (or start getting worse at all) tell someone. Make sure you keep your doctor informed!

Take care!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Optimistic Witch :)

Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Teenagers who have taken Zoloft, do I really have any reason to worry? - August 5th 2009, 10:16 PM

When they say there is an increased rate of suicide with the medication it doesn’t mean the medication caused the people to commit suicide. What happens is when people are majorly depressed they are so unmotivated they basically lay around all day and do nothing they are just too depressed to do anything like eating and using the bathroom. Even though they have suicidal thoughts, they are so unmotivated; they don’t do anything about it. When they start to take the medication, they become more and more motivated to do things (which is a good thing), but a side effect to that is, those suicidal thoughts they once had, they still have them, and now they actually have the motivation to go through with it. That is why there is an increased chance of suicide. This is also why it is really important to be in counseling while on new medication. If you have had really strong suicidal urges in the past, this is something you need to talk to your doctor about. And remember, your pharmacist knows everything there is to know about your medication, so you can always give them a call too if you have any questions.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for six years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread