TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Question Paranoid - August 17th 2009, 10:33 AM

After being emotionally abused by my parents for a year or so, i've found that i've become very paranoid. I had depression, and still struggle with it every now and then, but i only noticed my paranoid thinking after being emotionally abused for a while. I know it's not related to drugs, and was just wondering if anyone here has experienced this after some kind of emotional trauma? and if it's normal? mostly it's related to electrical appliances. I have to constantly check that i've turned everything off. Even after i've checked, i go back and check again, and again. It happens mostly at night, before i go to bed. I check all the taps in the house, and then i check them again. Once i'm in bed, i usually get up and check them again because i'm scared i didn't notice one was dripping. If i hear my sister turn on taps, i get up and check again, to make sure she turned them off properly! Will this ever go away? I've tried to train myself to not get up to check the taps, but i just feel like i have to check them. I can't sleep if i don't. I know this all sounds pretty weird. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Thanks for reading.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Paranoid - August 18th 2009, 08:11 PM

Hey there Ella.
You have been through alot and it could be caused by what you have been through. You may be suffering from OCD (Obessive Compulsive Disorder), im not saying you are, because i dont know, but i have OCD, and ive done these things in the past. If your not talking to anyone about how you feel it could make it worse. Maybe you should try talking to someone you trust? Also if this problem carries on and starts to tale over your life, it may be a good idea to see your doctor.
I hope everything gets better
-Jess

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Paranoid - August 18th 2009, 09:25 PM

Hey there Ella,

It's not unusual to become paranoid or to gain some sort of mental health issue after having some sort of trauma or emotional abuse in the past.

Have you ever sought any help for your depression or your emotional abuse? If you aren't receiving any form of support for that, I would recommend that you do try to speak to someone about those issues - there is help out there for you from professionals such as doctors and counsellors. If you are already seeking support for these things then you should try and talk to them about the issues you're facing right now with what you call your paranoia.

We can't diagnose you with anything here as we're not medical professionals, but as Jess has already mentioned, what you have described does sound like it is based around obsessions (thoughts) and compulsions (behaviour/action to get rid of the thought) - which are both associated with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). There is professional help that is available for this such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which you may want to look into if this is affecting your everday life. For now, I would like you to try and ask yourself why you feel you need to perform these tasks and ask yourself if they are rational thoughts as this often helps. Try to not check things even if you feel as though you must, Ella, and hopefully these thoughts will fade or you will be able to control them better in time.

Take care.

Closed Thread