TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Does anyone else have 'quiet days'. - August 19th 2009, 08:21 PM

Sometimes i have days, where i'm sorta quiet, and don't say much. My confidence drops a little and i feel unsociable even though i want to be around people. And i don't know why i get like this, sometimes its just for a day other times i can be like this for 2/3 days. I just become a bit withdrawn but not in the sense i want to be alone its just i find my self not contributing and not doing much when i'm around friends, family and my boyfriend.

Some of my friends have picked up on this on occasion, one of my best friends who is flat out blunt just asks me why i'm being so quiet (and i just say i don't know), and another one of my best friends assumes that when i'm being quiet i'm in a bad mood and i don't want to be around them (which is not true, usually the opposite). It's really annoying because my confidence drops as well and i feel more self concious than usual and i don't know what i can do about it because i try and speak up and force myself out of it but i can never think of anything worthwhile to say.

It's kinda hard to explain how i feel when i get like this, it's not really a major problem but it does bother me. Especially if i'm at a party or something and i'm standing with a group of people not really saying much, they'll think i'm a little weird or 'the quiet one' which i don't really think i am at heart. I mean i've never been the loudest person in the world but i'm not usually that quiet either. It's like my mind goes blank and its hard for me to find something interesting to say or anything to say at all.

I had a 'quiet day' today when i was with my boyfriend, and i'm really paranoid that he thinks i'm boring because it wouldn't be the first time since we've been together that i've been quiet. We had conversation and stuff, it just wasn't like it usually is because of my silly mood thing.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it normal? I'm only asking because most of my friends tend to be pretty outgoing all the time and i'm just not, i feel a bit weird.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Does anyone else have 'quiet days'. - August 19th 2009, 08:46 PM

Hey Nat,

I just wanted to let you know that I go through the same things you do. Sometimes, without reason, it just happens. You don't feel the want or need to be outgoing or something is stoping you from being able to. I understand and I wouldn't say it isn't normal. So long as this isn't affect something serious in your life, I wouldn't see it as something to worry about. However if you go weeks feeling like this - I would suggest talking to someone about it as it could be something bigger than a mood drop.

Though, from what you've described it doesn't seem too unhealthy. We all have points where we might feel more reserved and such. If it isn't affecting your thought process or want to be around people for long periods of time, I would try not to worry. Just be aware of it and maybe give yourself those days to be quiet. It's okay.

As for your friends and boyfriend, if they assume you're being rude or something else - it might be a good idea to pull them aside and explain to them how you're feeling. Afterall, they don't know how you're feeling on the inside so it's logical for them to make assumptions and possibly blame themselves. My mom always blames herself. That is, until I explained to her that I was simply quiet that day and needed time to snap out of it. The same goes with your boyfriend, he chose to date you and therefore he must like you and not think you're a boring person. Explain this to him and maybe you two could have a quiet day together? I always find that allowing myself to have the time I need to be quiet helps it leave faster. Also, the types of music I listen to are very influential in this stage too. You might want to try listening to something up-beat or happy while you're like this - it might allow you to get out of the quiet stage sooner.

Again, if you really are worried about this - consult your doctor about it. It's never wrong to be too careful when it comes to your health. If you need anyone to talk to at all, feel free to PM me anytime! Take care.

Have hope,
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread