TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xXbrooke13Xx Offline
done w/all the fake ppl
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Brooke

my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 3rd 2009, 12:53 AM

i dunno if this is where i should put this,so move it to where it should be if you know,please.

so i went and saw my doctor yesterday,im only on like a low doseage,but i still think my mood stabilizers necassary. but he says in 2 months,if im still doing okay like i am right now,that hes gonna mak it so i only get my meds like every 6 months,if at all.

im scared..i dont kno what ill do when he does that...i kno ive been doing pretty good,but i think its because of my meds...what if when he taks my meds away,what if i go back to what i was like....or worse ....

i dunno why im posting this..guess i jus needed to get it off my chest...

~*fixed what was once broken*~

x7x13x

I.Love.You.<3

YOU ARE ON DRUGS,is what i think

so over you

KEEP MOVING FORWARD

need or wanna tlk,pm me nytime

Send a message via AIM to xXbrooke13Xx Send a message via Yahoo to xXbrooke13Xx  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 3rd 2009, 01:07 AM

You need to at least try. And if it works, then great. When I was taken off anti-depressants, I was sorta scared too but so far so good and it's been about a year now. If it doesn't work, then oh well. You'll have to be without it. You can do it dear. PM me if you need to talk anytime.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
xXbrooke13Xx Offline
done w/all the fake ppl
Regular TeenHelper

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 3rd 2009, 01:26 AM

im only on mood stabilizers tho,they didnt think i was severe a case enuf to be put onto anti-depresants.

and if it doesnt work and i end up being like i was before,ill be back into a hospital in like no time,depending on how long it taks me to go back to how i was....i dont want that...i didnt like that,i didnt like being away from my friends,or my cousins,and i couldnt talk to my love during then either....i dont wanna hav to go thru that again,i dont even wanna tak that chance,but my mother and my doctor(more so my mother) are like dead set on getting me off these meds asap.

if i even tried to tell them i was scared of what could happen...they wouldnt care and theyd tell me to suck it up and deal with it when it comes,but I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH THAT AGAIN,ever!

x7x13x

I.Love.You.<3

so over you

KEEP MOVING FORWARD

(#4 (permalink)) Old
gone_wrong Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ellie

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 5th 2009, 06:26 PM

calm down u got to tell ur doctor that u dont feel ready it his job to help u they dont no how u feel u hav to tell them they wil understand it worth a shot dont panic though im sure they wont do anything if ur not ready and happy about it xx

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 5th 2009, 06:36 PM

Hiya

I think that you have to look at the possibilties. Your 15 years old....your on a mood stabilizer and the doctor wants you off. In my opinion I think you should go with what your doctor says. I know you may be panicking, but the doctor knows best. And if it doesnt work, then you can say you have tried but things are not working.

Reason I am saying this, (excuse me if you have been diagnosed bipolar), is partly because your are at your peak, your going through a lot of stress and your moods are likely to be all over the place.

If you are really scared about coming off these drugs then I would talk to your doctor.
Be honest. Dont be scared. Tell the truth.

However if you do stay on drugs longer and longer, you may find yourself becoming physically and mentally addicted. Therefore harder to get off and more independent on them.

All the best

Jamie
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 6th 2009, 03:02 PM

Hey there Brooke,

I understand that it may be frightening for you to come off your medication after it has helped your mood to improve.
It is very good that the medication you have been prescribed has helped you, but sometimes it is needed for your medication to be changed or reduced, Brooke. Your doctor will be doing this for a good reason and if you don't fully understand why this is then you should discuss this with your doctor or psychiatrist, you should discuss anything with them that you're unsure of. As Jaymi has already stated, your doctor IS qualified and so should know what he is doing and have a good reason for doing so, they only want to do what is best for you and what will help you. Sometimes medication can potentially make things worse when your mood changes or you simply may not need it for such a period of time. Your doctor should arrange other help for you rather than your medication and you should be sure to emphasise to them how this is worrying you. It is important that you do talk to your doctor and are comfortable with what is being arranged for you.

Take care.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 6th 2009, 04:09 PM

It is obviously very frightening for you, but I think the doctor knows best.
If he didn't think you could do it, he wouldn't do this would he?
If you don't get off the drugs, then you may become addicted to them, which is a big problem.
Give it a try, I'm sure you'll do fine!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
xXbrooke13Xx Offline
done w/all the fake ppl
Regular TeenHelper

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 6th 2009, 06:43 PM

i kno i should tell my doctor that im scared about what might happen,but the thing,because im minor(under 18),my mother has final say on what the doctor does and everything,well,she kinda wanted me off the meds as soon as i was put on them. so even if i am to tell my doctor and he said oh well,then maybe we wont do it or whatever hed say to that,my mother would tell him that im coming off the meds and thats how its gonna be. she wants me off them asap.

its not im not willing to try no meds,its jus,that,im reaaaaaally scared of what could happen if i come off the meds and go back to what i was. i kno the doctor knos what he is doing and i kno hes only looking out for my best interest. he says as long as i stay in therapy after being taken off the meds,i should be jus as stable as i am now(which is pretty stable),but i dont wanna be in therapy for the rest of my life,id rather tak meds,to be honest,then to talk about how i feel and shit,ya kno?

x7x13x

I.Love.You.<3

so over you

KEEP MOVING FORWARD

(#9 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: my doc wants to tak me off my meds.... - September 6th 2009, 06:50 PM

Once you're off the meds and you stay in therapy, he'll probably help you get used to not having to see him.
He'll probably start making visit gaps larger.
In the end you won't even need him!
So don't worry, you won't have to visit him for the rest of your life.
Don't be afraid to tell him, he's someone you can trust.
Hope you're ok,
xx.

Closed Thread