TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tsuki_Hana Offline
月華です。
Welcome me, I'm new!

Rocking Back and Forth (Anxiety/ Depression) - September 14th 2009, 04:31 AM

I'm not sure if I'm in the right category, but here I go. X]

Recently I've been rocking back and forth to relieve stress, or depression symptoms. It seems to be a progression of other movements I still do. I'll usually "bounce" one of my legs or rub my feet on my bed sheets before sleeping. I do most of these movements (for the most part) subconsciously and won't notice them until I stop. Currently they don't bother me that much, but I seem to be preforming them more and more.

I was wondering if anyone else does these or similar movements, and what you do to control them?

Lovely moon flower.
Touch of red painted lips.
She gives one kiss.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Rocking Back and Forth (Anxiety/ Depression) - September 14th 2009, 05:04 AM

I used to rock, it started when I was about 14 or 15. Like you, it was entirely subconscious and it didn't bother me until it became frequent and noticeable to others. I associated it with being anxious or extremely depressed, and I had a very close friend in high school that would actually drop what she was doing if she saw me rocking. I also have other nervous movements, mostly in my hands, that I've noticed over the years are very similar to movements my father makes when anxious. I'm not sure if they are learned habits or are associated more with certain psychological disorders/illnesses, but it may be worth it to bring these things up with your doctor.

For me, the rocking has lessened over the past few years, and I'd say I haven't caught myself rocking in the past six or so months but for once, when I was under a lot of pressure at home. I still shake my legs a lot but I think (for me) that is more of a nervous habit and something I do when I feel the need to move. I'm not sure if I stopped it myself or if the rocking lessened on its own. The biggest thing I did for myself was to make a conscious effort to stop rocking, when and if I realized I was doing it. If I couldn't stop that was a sign to me that I needed to talk to someone ASAP.

If it starts to bother you, or even if it doesn't but you want to stop, you might want to talk to a doctor or therapist about it. They could help you to identify triggers, which may help you to avoid or cope with them better. They also may (or may not) be able to prescribe you anti-anxiety medication to take as needed. For example, something like lorazepam (brand name Ativan), which is mainly used to treat anxiety disorders, may be prescribed in a 1 or 2 mg dose that you could take only when feeling anxious, rather than at a set time daily.

Good luck with things. Take care! [:

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Rocking Back and Forth (Anxiety/ Depression) - September 14th 2009, 05:49 AM

I bounce my legs almost constantly. To the point that my legs are tired. Everyone is always like STOP!

But I do it without thinking. When I notice I'm doing it, I try to breathe and stop. Rocking back and forth is actually a natural response to stress and stuff like that. It's not uncommon at all. Ask a friend to point it out for you when you're doing it. Then try to just breathe and sit still.

Good luck!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tsuki_Hana Offline
月華です。
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Rocking Back and Forth (Anxiety/ Depression) - September 14th 2009, 06:29 AM

Thank you both for your help. :3~ Unfortunately I won't be able to see a doctor anytime soon for lack of money and medical insurance. But as soon as I'm able to it'll be one of those things on my list to ask about.

I've gotten my friends to help me out a bit when I start to fidget too much in public. They'll call out "code red" and poke me, which usually just brings a smile to my face.

Lovely moon flower.
Touch of red painted lips.
She gives one kiss.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rhia.

Re: Rocking Back and Forth (Anxiety/ Depression) - September 14th 2009, 08:46 PM

I started rocking when I was 15. It normally happens when i'm in bed and it can either be very gentle or almost violent and once I start I find it almost impossible to stop again. I NEED to do it. It can, however, be when i'm sat down. Most of the time this happens when i'm infront of the computer.

I used to shake/vibrate my leg very violently...constantly! To the point that it would start to cause my leg muscles pain. That stopped after I had medication for anxiety and hasnt come back.

I'm very aware of my rocking when other people are around me if I don't know them so well. I rock infront of my close friends but that's about it. I seem to be able to stp myself when strangers are around.

H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
Closed Thread