TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PerObscurumVox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Do teens have a right to confidentiality? - September 18th 2009, 02:08 AM

I am going to a Psychiatrist in 1 week for possible treatment for Schizo-Affective disorder. I am 15 years old.

The problem is, I just know that they are going to start medication and I was wondering if I am going to be drug tested. The reason I ask is because I have smoked pot the last few days.

Even if I do turn up positive for THC, will I still get a right to Doctor/Patient confidentiality or will they inform my parents or will they even inform law enforcement and put me into rehab?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Do teens have a right to confidentiality? - September 18th 2009, 03:06 AM

I believe you do have the right to confidentiality in most places. Usually they will only inform your parents or authority if they believe you are at a risk of harming yourself or others. Your best bet is to ask their offices what their policies are, just to be safe. I hardly doubt that they will put you into rehab for smoking a joint or two. You're at that age where most teens will be curious to experiment with drugs. If they ask you questions, just be honest with them and tell them whatever they need to know, simple enough. x

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do teens have a right to confidentiality? - September 18th 2009, 04:27 AM

Ask who you are seeing first thing. They should tell you anyway the conditions under which they have to break confidentiality. Usually it is if you are a threat to yourself, a threat to others, or doing/going to do something illegal. I'm not sure though.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Do teens have a right to confidentiality? - September 18th 2009, 04:55 AM

You probably are going to get a blood test for various drugs because it's vital for the psychiatrist to know what you're taking as it can affect your medications.

With that said, you are the patient, not your parents, not the police, not your best friend, it's you as the patient. If they do find some THC in your blood, then they're unlikely and probably won't put you into rehab because smoking or consuming marijuana doesn't mean you're an addict, and rehab is generally for addicts. They could put you into rehab if you admit you're an addict or are seeing the psychiatrist because others got you into there because they think you're an addict, especially if you're ordered by a court of law. If nothing in the last sentence applies to you, then you're likely not going to go into rehab.

If you do test positive for THC, then they're going to see the concentration of THC in your blood. Since you had a few days between blood-testing and smoking THC, the blood concentration is going to be lowered. If you didn't smoke a lot, then your blood concentration will be lowered to start with and with the time delay, it's going to be even more lowered. They'll probably ask you about why THC is present and they'll talk to you about it.

Since you're legally a minor, they'll probably ask you if you'll allow for them to tell it to your parents. If you do allow it, then whether you're informed to the police is up to your parents, psychiatrist and yourself.

Closed Thread