TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hide The Scars Offline
Moved to a new town again :(
Not a n00b

Name: Kaydence

Borderline Personality Disorder? - September 22nd 2009, 06:59 AM

Okay so my parents were worried about me so they took me to the doctor, who took me to the hospital and I had to stay there overnight so a psychiatrist could talk to me the next day.
Over the past year or so doctors have been fussing over what they think I have, and this is the first doctor to just say "You have this, here's what you need to do." so I want to take his advice and see if it helps. Thing is though that my understanding of borderline is pretty limited, all I really know is that it's usually diagnosed in people who were sexually abused as children? I wasn't sexually abused so I'm kind of confused.
Any information is helpful.

Oh and, I don't know if I should ask this here or not but I met this guy online and he was having issues and ended up overdosing on caffeine pills last week. Does anyone know if there are permanent problems of this? I kind of think I should ask this in the health forum but I'm in a rush so I'm going to try here before I shut off my computer.
The doctors said that his vitals and electrolytes and stuff are all pretty much back to normal but he's still complaining about being tired all the time and having a weird feeling in his chest and being dizzy all the time. He didn't ask me to ask this but I'm just kind of worried for him.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder? - September 22nd 2009, 07:29 AM

Hey!
I actually am not sure how to answer this. I just don't want you to think that there isn't anyone to help!
It's just, I'm not someone who can answer this question!
Sorry!
Hugs

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder? - September 25th 2009, 05:02 AM

When it comes to Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) or any personality disorder for that matter, it's much easier to figure out the progression rather than the onset. Although the two may seem to go hand-in-hand, figuring out the onset is incredibly difficult and by onset, I'm referring to saying that people with BPD were sexually abused. This may be true in many cases, however, it's not something that needs to be required. When it's mentioned, it's representatitve in that it's saying "out of all the people with BPD that were examined, a majority (for the sake of this example, it's not meant to be actually true) were sexually abused". In other words, yes many people with BPD may have been sexually abused but you don't need to be sexually abused in order to have BPD.

If you've taken a basic course in psychology then hopefully this already makes sense but if you haven't or if you have but didn't cover/understand this, then I'll try to explain it. The idea that you have and that I've trying to convey is that of causality. It may be a correlation that people with BPD were also sexually abused, however, that's not causality, in other words, being sexually abused doesn't mean you instantly have BPD.

Many disorders rely on looking at what happened during one's childhood and sexual abuse usually appears quite a bit, especially for personality disorders because it's an enormous stressor during childhood.

So if all the above simply seems like blobs of text that make no sense to you, then hopefully this part will make sense. Being sexually abused does NOT mean you'll get BPD. Having BPD does NOT mean you were sexually abused. Being sexually abused does NOT mean you'll develop any personality disorder at all. The reason why you may have read or heard otherwise is that when studies are conducted and they look at the case history of patients or if they interview patients, then many of the patients do indeed report that they were sexually abused and so the conclusion that's formed is along the lines of those who have BPD were sexually abused. Point is, it's a correlation and not causation. Usually it may seem as causation but it's not.

As for the person you talked to online who overdosed, as with many overdoses, it depends on factors such as how much he took, his weight, height, previous medical history, etc... . To put your mind at ease, yes caffine overdose can be lethal, however, it's extremely rare. Taking lots of caffine does affect one's muscles, including cardiac muscles but it affects pretty much all muscles. The effects he's feeling are probably a combination of getting the caffine slowly worked out of his system and while the concentrations of caffine are high, he's probably exhibiting various physiological responses along the way. Muscle damage can occur as a long-term consequence, however, it'd be a rather unusual and rare result. Give it some time for the caffine to be removed from his system and then add on a bit of extra time for the psychological effects to be removed and he should be fine. There's always a possibility of long-term muscle damage, however, it's a low possibility.

In simpler terms, caffine can cause both psychological and physiological (i.e. other than affecting the CNS) responses and as the caffine is being slowly removed from his system, he'll exhibit various reponses along the way. Once it's out, his body may still crave what is lacks for a bit but that passes in a fairly short amount of time. If everything adheres to typical results, he should be fine.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hide The Scars Offline
Moved to a new town again :(
Not a n00b

Name: Kaydence

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder? - September 25th 2009, 06:08 AM

Thanks Nightmare, you always seem to be full of useful stuff.
Yah I took some psychology and I remember correlation and causality, thanks for clearing that up.
And thanks for the info on my friend, I'll give him a bit more time to recover before I start to really worry about it too much.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I'm Not Who You Think I Am
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder? - September 28th 2009, 04:45 AM

Hey,
Yeah likes been said, you dont need to have been sexually abused to have BPD, but in research they have done, they have just found that theres a high number of people who have been sexually abused and had this disorder. I know how hard it is coping with this disorder, having it myself. And at one of my groups with other people with the disorder its pretty split in the sexually abused terms.
Hope that helps. x

[x] Even though I'm the sacrifice,
You wont try for me, not now,
Though I'd die to know you love me,

I'm all alone,

Isn't something missing?
Isnt someone missing me [x]

Baby, i want you to be my superman.
  Send a message via MSN to xxCookiiexMonsterxx  
Closed Thread