TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:nat:. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Why can I only talk to guys? - September 22nd 2009, 08:49 AM

Hey everyone!

let me start by telling you, i am a 16 year old girl and i have a lot of problems. Depression, anxiety, eating disorder etc etc.

I was wondering, why do I onl feel comfortable talking to males than females about this personal stuff? Why do I feel I can only confide in males? Isnt it nornally the opposite?

I am inredibly close to my 50 year old teacher and I tell him eerything. He
s my rock.

I am just wondering...why?

Sorry if that didnt make sense.

Any answers appreciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 22nd 2009, 11:57 PM

Nat, I'm 16, and I'm just like you are. I do not feel confident enough to relay my personal thoughts to girls, because I did it once in freshman year, and she just ended up spreading it around the school! Guys (and especially adults) are less likely to spread rumors, you know? From how gossip spreads around like wildfire, it's no wonder why most girls rely on guys to share their problems with.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 23rd 2009, 12:44 AM

Hey Nat,

I think it varies from person to person as far as what were comfortable sharing with others. I have no idea why but things that are more personal such as my self harm and that kind of stuff I'm more likely to share with a guy. I guess I just find it easier to open up to guys about it. They somehow seem less judgmental about things like that. Girls I've told seemed to take it more personally and it just turned into this whole big emotional deal and I'd just freeze up. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is guys just seem to care without making it into a big deal like many girls would...ya know?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:nat:. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 23rd 2009, 09:13 AM

yeah i guess you are both right and I know that it varies form person to person...its just more LIKELY that a female open up to a female but I would chose a male anytime over females.

Although, the first time i told anyone about my selfharm and suicidal tendencies it was a male and he cried...i was like awww...please dont cry...he was a very emotional guy though.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 23rd 2009, 09:00 PM

Aww, I had a guy friend that started crying once because me and an ex-friend got in a fight, and I kept talking about suicide...

Now, he tries to cheer me up by making me laugh when I'm down. When I go to girls for advice, they make up fake stuff just to make me feel better, and then they say 'I'll see ya later!' and leave. I hate it when people do that...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 23rd 2009, 09:15 PM

Like everyone above me said, it varies from person to person. For me, I like talking to guys better because they aren't as emotional as girls. They seem to take the time to understand me rather than just jumping to conclusions. Also, they are less likely to gossip about me or spread rumors. Girls just seem more interested in talking about things than listening to what's going on. That's just me though.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 25th 2009, 03:03 PM

I definitely agree that it varies from person to person, and even from gender to gender. I personally find talking to females about my issues are easier. They tend to care more?

I would actually say it depends on the gender of the majority of your friends. I find a lot of my friends are male and I couldn't talk to them about stuff, so talk to my female friends. It's all rather confusing! You need to understand however, that it is completely normal to feel that way and at the end of the day it doesn't actually matter WHO you prefer to talk to about your problems so long as you get a good reply, right?

Adam.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#8 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 25th 2009, 03:36 PM

It's a personal preference and depends on what we feel is most comfortable. Most of my friends are guys and I guess I just find it easier, they seem to make me laugh to help the crap mood pass.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 26th 2009, 06:28 PM

Yup, I don't think this is a mental health disorder or issue, it's just personal preference. Some people prefer to talk to females and some prefer to talk to males about their personal problems, some people prefer to talk to people their age, some people prefer to talk to older people. Personally, I don't think that I have a total preference, but there are some things I'd rather talk to a guy about rather than a girl, I think that the response is different. There's nothing wrong with talking with who you are most comfortable with as long as you're talking and as long as you're comfortable. Talking to someone is a big step and you should be proud of yourself for talking to your teacher, that is really great, Nat.

Take care.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Why can I only talk to guys? - September 26th 2009, 10:01 PM

Hey,
I find it more easier to speak to guys about problems too.
I think it's where older guys especially are much more easy going and don't make every insignificant detail so much more than it has to be, girls over analyse way more than guys and guys are less likely to judge you.
Girls are sometimes less trustworthy than guys are.

Closed Thread