TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NewDay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Am I depressed? - October 14th 2009, 08:54 PM

I don't know what's going on with me. I don't know if I'm depressed or not but here's what's making me think so:

-I can't focus. I think of many irrelevant things.
-I drink till I get drunk every couple of days just to feel happy.
-Can't sleep at night. I stay up till the morning and I get a 4 hour sleep only.
-I'm eating more often. My appetite hasn't gone bigger, I just eat more.
-I feel like bursting and breaking something.
-I've lost interest in many things that I used to find enjoyable.
-I'm usually a happy person, nothing gets to me but lately I've just been sitting on the couch listening to music and staring into nowhere.

This isn't me. What's happening

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FromTheAshes Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lils

Re: Am I depressed? - October 14th 2009, 09:21 PM

Hi NewDay,

That sounds like a difficult situation to be in We can't tell you if you're depressed here, but it does sound like you have some symptoms that would be worth getting checked out professionally. If you can, try to keep a record of these and any other symptoms daily for a fortnight, and take that to your doctor. They'll be able to help you identify if there's anything else going on that could be causing your symptoms and refer you to the best people to help you.

What's really important here is that you're reaching out and asking for help, because there are lots of things that can be done to help if it is depression. Things don't have to be this way, they can change and you deserve the help to feel better.

Take care,

Lils

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eros Offline
[01.12.08]
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Yeonie

Re: Am I depressed? - October 15th 2009, 03:24 AM

We can't tell you officially whether you are clinically depressed or not, but as FromTheAshes has stated, it /does/ seem as though you have the symptoms of being so.
I recommend you go to a doctor and check it out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Am I depressed? - October 15th 2009, 12:50 PM

Although we are not professionals here on TH, we can give suggestions or our opinions on what we think.

It does sound like you maybe be depressed. Is there anything that you think triggered this? Once you find the source of it you may be able to avoid it or find help. Also, some of those things may lead to others. For example, if you are just sitting on the couch all day and have nothing else to do, you may start to eat when you are not hungry, just to find something to do.

I suggest you talk to your doctor or parents so they can find you help to start being happier. Communication is key. You can't get through this alone. Talk to your friends, family, or a counselor at school. Let me know if you need anything.

Take care,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Remember_M3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Re: Am I depressed? - October 15th 2009, 12:53 PM

Hey,
Its true that we can't tell you yes or no, but I think it would be wise for you to go and talk to a professional and see what they think. Depression has a large genetic component, so a factor to consider is if anyone in your family has a mental illness. You could have depression, and if you do I can promise you that there are tons of different methods available to help you feel better as soon as you can. Best of luck. If you need to talk feel free to PM me anytime.
  Send a message via AIM to Remember_M3  
Closed Thread