TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

A 'cure' for depression? - November 27th 2009, 02:55 AM

It's hard for me to go a whole day without reminding myself of the fact that I have depression. I go whole days feeling as if I'm happy, but there's always about an hour during that day that I feel depressed. Thanks to my pills it's easier to ignore that I have depression all together, but I still have yet to feel like it's no longer there. It holds a presence in my life that I can always sense. It's become as much of a part as my name, or as my hair color. And as screwed up as this sounds, I can't imagine any longer my life without depression. I can't remember what I ever used to feel like before my depression was triggered. I can't remember what it was like not to have it's presence lurking in the back of my mind.

So what can I do to make it go away? I talk, I go to the stupid therapist that I hate. I take a pill for my mood swings and a pill for my depression every night. But there's never a day I go without feeling its presence. I know the usual crap my therapist tells me - exercise (she also added in the fact that I might want to lose a bit of weight), eat right, talk about your feelings. But those three things haven't made it go away completely.

Am I always going to have to live with depression? Because I would kill for just one whole week without one depressing thought. I would kill countless amounts of times to go my whole life without feeling it's presence.

Is that hopeless....?

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley

Re: A 'cure' for depression? - November 27th 2009, 09:29 PM

Dear Amanda,

There is a cure, but it's internal, and it will have to come from ourselves. Medication can only help us get back on track. We have to do something different to what we are doing now, because if we always do what we've always done, things will always be how they've always be. But oh, if only change were just a thought! If only it were that easy. The truth is, it's not easy or quick - it will take concerted effort over time, but it is possible. We just have to keep trying even though we may feel that we cannot pass the hurdles in our lives. Therapy can help, but maybe you could consider switching therapists if you hate your current one so much.

What kind of depressing thoughts do you have? It it about yourself? Because I can tell you now, even though I don't know you so well, that I really admire you for the kind, caring, beautiful person you are. You are so helpful to others and give wonderful advice. You write brilliant poetry. I would suggest that you write some affirmations, if you don't already. The mind can be very powerful, so it is important that one concentrates on being positive. Because whilst pain may be inevitable, suffering is optional.

Remember that what is today, isnít necessarily what is going to be tomorrow, or next week, or next month. We learn as we have different life experiences. Have you ever thought that things go wrong so that when the good things do happen, they seem all the more incredible?

There is a good book that I recommend: You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hay. It has great reviews, and might be helpful to you.

Things can be different. Not everything has to stay the same. We're here for you, Amanda.

Thinking of you.
Halcyon

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: A 'cure' for depression? - November 29th 2009, 09:17 AM

Psychiatry as you know is a branch of medicine but it doesn't follow the medical model as other branches do. Part of the medical model states that to treat the symptoms, you must know the cause, however, knowing the cause is not discovered in psychiatry because in order to say something is the cause, you have to show why it is and why others are not. In order for a "cure", a method must be made to remove the cause.

Instead, in psychiatry the symptoms are addressed and so the cause may still be present, its productions are no longer a concern. The symptoms can be dealt with in many ways and ideally they allow you to function better and for your psychosocial set to not influence your physiological function in a way that leads your behavior to have undesirable social consequences.

Closed Thread