TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Scared of low flying planes - December 4th 2009, 11:41 AM

If I hear one outside I'll have to play music REALLY loud to block the noise out. I keep thinking it's going to crash or something. I know the chances of an airoplane falling out of the sky and landing here is stupidly slim but the irrational part of my brain panics.

I've never been on an airoplane either and I'm scared I'll panic on the actual plane too (I'm going to New York in a few months)

What could I do to try and calm myself down for when I go to New York? And calm myself down in general when I plane passes my house.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scared of low flying planes - December 4th 2009, 11:59 AM

Hey, Ceilidh

It's normal to be afraid of something so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Does your fear stem from a past experience? Why are you afraid that the plan will crash/fall out of the sky?

As for travelling to New York, are you flying alone? Even so, the flight attendants will be more and happy to see to it that you are calm and comfortable. Your best bet would be to find a therapist who can assist you in getting over your fear. For now though, just try (your best) not to think too much about the plane that's flying overhead, when it does.

On the plane, you could think about all the other passengers around you on their way to New York. Just remember that many people are terrified of planes so you won't be the only one who's nervous or panicky. Just envision your landing... you'll be in New York

You should see someone about this fear though so it doesn't get in the way of your New York experience. That way, you'll feel better around planes in general in the future

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Scared of low flying planes - December 4th 2009, 02:46 PM

Hey Ceilidh,

Flying was one of my biggest fears for most of my life—and even still, I’m not crazy about it! I can really relate to what you wrote. I think that part of your fear has to do with the fact that you’ve never flown before. It’s the unknown that’s always the scariest, you know? When we don’t know how something will be, it’s easy to build it up in our brains as this awful, scary thing.

I know that this might initially make you say “NO WAY!” but just hear me out: the best way to face your fear of planes when they fly by your house, is to go outside and watch it and listen to it. It’s called “exposure” and trust me, it works. Basically, when we don’t face a fear, and ignore it, it gives the fear a way to say to you, “See, I AM so scary! I’m the scariest fear in the world, I’m so scary that she can’t face me. This proves it.” And then the fear just gets worse and worse because you have essentially told yourself that it IS worth hiding from. But, if you face the fear and listen to the plane, and watch it, then the fear will say, “Oh. I guess she realized it’s not that scary. I’m not scary anymore then. Alright.” And the intensity of the fear will RAPIDLY decrease because you faced it, and the fear has nothing to strengthen itself. Does that make sense at all? I know it might seem scary but it works. I promise promise promise.

In terms of WHEN you fly—is it doable to get into some therapy before hand? A trained therapist can do some intense exposure therapy with you for a few weeks or months to drastically reduce your fear. But if not, there are of course things you can do yourself. I think you need to just flood yourself with exposure. Again, it seems scary, but it’s helping your brain realize “Oh, this isn’t so scary. See, I’m able to look at it/think about it. It must not be scary then and I can stop worrying”. Get on YouTube or another video website and start looking at videos of people flying, of airplanes, of passengers, etc. Go to a library or bookstore and look at pictures of airplanes, get all the information you can. If possible, take a drive to an airport and watch planes taking off and landing.

Hang in there Ceilidh—I know it can be so scary but you’re not alone, I promise…don’t hesitate to PM me if you want to talk more, ok?
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Scared of low flying planes - December 4th 2009, 03:59 PM

Omg, I'm scared of this too.
and i really agree with Jen and her advice.

PM me if you want to talk about anything.
take care<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Scared of low flying planes - December 4th 2009, 06:44 PM

when I was about five I remember there being an airoplane outside flying reallyyyy low and it scared the hell out of me I'll try the exposure idea thanks for the idea. I kind of want therapy for other things right now as well, so if/when I get it I'll ask about the plane phobia too

Thanks everyone <3

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
Closed Thread