TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Broken-Angel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Angela

Do i have BPD ?.. - December 13th 2009, 03:19 PM

I was looking at metal illness' online. One of them was Borderline Personality Disorder. It scared me because i think there's a chance i may have it. I think i have it because on the site they say if you have 5 out of 9 of the symptoms your have it. I would really like to cheek if i have it or not. But im scared.. My mom overreacts. Ive had problems with my mental health before but never really got treated. Its a long story. Everyone says this is just a part of being a teenager and growing up. But im starting to think i have more problems then the normal teenager.. Im open to what anyone thinks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do i have BPD ?.. - December 13th 2009, 03:59 PM

Hey there Angela,

The only way to be diagnosed with anything would be to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist, we can't diagnose you here and online tests are not reliable.
I am pretty sure that most people could say that they have symptoms to several different mental illnesses but it does not mean that they would be diagnosed or that they have that mental illness. Also, if you're reading about mental illness, it is actually possible to convince yourself or notice things that you haven't been doing or hadn't noticed befoere - you can almost 'adapt' to those symptoms. Basically, online symptom checkers for mental illnesses are not reliable and the only way to really check would be to see a doctor who can talk to you and delve deeper.
It is important to remember that you are fourteen and many young teenagers do have a lot of moodswings or problems with their emotions which are completely natural. However, if you do think that there is something wrong and it's affecting your everyday life, don't hesitate to talk to your mum, your school counsellor or your doctor about this.

Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Do i have BPD ?.. - December 13th 2009, 04:12 PM

What problems do you have, Angela? What one thinks is 'normal' probably isn't the case as a lot goes on behind closed doors we don't know about. Trust me, you're not alone in having a hard time of things.

It might be a good idea to take more than one test, take a few more to be certain, then it might be a good idea to try and get diagnosed by a professional, that way you will know for sure, which I admit might be difficult for you to do.
Be aware though that when growing up everyone experiences the symptoms of BPD as our hormones are quite active, more so than pre-teen, our self-image changes a lot and our moods are often unstable this is natural for the most part when growing up. This is probably what your mum will say to you as well, I would agree with it as it's more likely than BPD.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Do i have BPD ?.. - December 13th 2009, 08:58 PM

You would have to go to a professional to get diagnosed. The thing with personality disorders is that everyone shows some signs of at least one of them throughout their lifetime. Having the symptoms of a personality disorder doesn't always mean you have it.
Another thing if you're only 14, and most doctors will not diagnose anybody with a personality disorder until they are 18 because your personality is still developing. In my opinion even 18 is a bit too early.
That being said it's not impossible to have a personality disorder when you're that young, but a doctor might still be reluctant to diagnose you with it. Especially with borderline personality disorder, which is considered to be the most serious of personality disorders. It's also similar to a couple other disorders, making diagnosis difficult.

Why do you think you have it? Maybe if you posted the problems you're having that made you believe you might have BPD we could help you with them?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
Closed Thread