TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Does it ever bother you... - December 14th 2009, 10:58 PM

... when people talk about their "OCD" or "ADD" or "bipolar disorder" that they don't really have?

A lot of teenagers say they're obsessive compulsive because of strange habits and rituals they have. Or they'll say they have ADD or ADHD because they're hyper and can't concentrate. Or they're bipolar due to mood swings. Yet none of them actually HAVE these disorders.

Does it bother anyone else that these mental health terms are used so loosely?

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 14th 2009, 11:06 PM

I think it's a tad immature to just blurt out "I have ADD!" As an excuse for not being able to concentrate or settle down because their parents just never taught them how to shut up.

Everytime someone says "Don't blame me, I'm bipolar!" I usually just say "no you're just TEENAGER." Cause usually it is due to simple teenage horomones. Whether it's 'that time of the month' or not. Unless they actually are, then I wouldn't say something like that.

I will admit though that I'll say I'm OCD (or CDO to put it in alphabetical order) when I must, must, must do something or make something even. But I have absolutly no idea if I really am or not. So I probably shouldn't since now I sound like a hipocrite. =/ But if someone asks me seriously if I have OCD I'll certaintly say no. I always say it jokingly and with fun. Not supposed to be offensive or anything...

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 14th 2009, 11:15 PM

It doesn't annoy me as such, I just think they don't quite understand how extreme mental conditions can really be. My friend thought she had bi-polar because of the Stacey Slater storyline on Eastenders. I know I'm not a doctor but I honestly don't think she has it, she just has mood swings.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 14th 2009, 11:22 PM

Honestly, yes it does annoy me. I absolutely can't stand it when people say that they're 'depressed', when in fact, they're just a little bit upset or they're 'OCD' because they like keeping things tidy. Obviously I'm not going to attack everyone for over-exaggerating a bit, but I do tend to say 'No, you're not' when someone's 'depressed' because they didn't get their own way. I think it's a big problem as it undermines the actual conditions.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 15th 2009, 12:45 AM

Yeah people just say it because its how they think/ feel at the moment.
Apparently they don't really know what they mean,
If i had any of them, I'm sure it would annoy me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 15th 2009, 01:37 AM

It depends. If it's used in certain ways I'm okay with it.
Like, I'll say I'm OCD with certain things, like actually say "I'm so OCD with ___"
But I also think I might have some sort of mild case of OCD, but that isn't the point.
It really bugs me when people say "Oh I'm so depressed" or "I'm depressed now" just because they didn't like something that happened.
That's depressing is a little different.
And the ADD thing I don't like, but I admit I say I have song ADD because I cannot finish a song.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 15th 2009, 04:26 AM

I think it is pretty annoying because not only are they making a false claim and pretty much mocking those who have it, they're also mocking the entire field of psychology and diagnostics. I think the problem is the inability to discern symptom from syndrome. Once someone looks at a list of symptoms for a syndrome, they fail to realize that it's more than merely seeing if you have the symptoms that's involved in psychiatric diagnostics. The DSM-IV-TR and ICD-10 both have written criteria that are necessary and aren't simply composed of how many symptoms you have. That criteria is necessary to reach, although I think those who make the false claims simply look at a list of symptoms, ignore the criteria, ignore the clinical interviews, diagnostic tests, etc... and simply say they have it.

But what really annoys me is their role of playing doctor or expert in the field. They're clearly not an expert anymore than a shoe is and yet, with their assertion that they have a certain syndrome, they're mocking the doctors who spend their lives diagnosing, conducting research, etc... . Part of the goal of that is to avoid mindless diagnoses, however, when someone says they have ADHD or whatever they feel they have, you assume it's legit and a doctor has diagnosed them. It ends up obscuring who has it legit and who is just thinking they do, and eventually the line gets so blurred, people just write themselves off as having it and kick the doctors, researchers and entire field of psychology and psychiatry out the window.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 15th 2009, 05:07 AM

It does bother me quite a lot actually. When I genuinally had depression in my early years of high school, there were so many girls who lied about having depression or some type of mental illness just to get attention. And it worked. And I'm not just jumping to the conclusion that they weren't really depressed...I knew a lot of these people personally, and it was obvious that they were not serious about it. When someone's really depressed they don't generally parade it in front of people. Not in my experience anyway...In fact I went to great lengths to hide the fact that I had depression. I find it really really insulting to people who are actually going through depression and other mental illnesses. It makes it seem like depression is a joke, or not something to be taken seriously, which we all know isn't true. If these people had in fact suffered from depression, they would have understood that.
Sorry for the rant!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 15th 2009, 07:46 PM

Ella, I have bipolar disorder. Throughout the day I hide it from my peers who don't know about my disease, and even from those friends who DO know about it.

YourNightmare... you summed up EXACTLY why it annoys me perfectly

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Does it ever bother you... - December 15th 2009, 10:24 PM

yes. it bothers me every day. I can't stand being around people a lot of the time and this is one of the reasons.. they just don't know what they are talking about. they don't know what it's like to suffer from these diseases..

Closed Thread