TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lexie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Is therapy scary? - December 28th 2009, 06:18 AM

:confused:Okay so my mom told me today that she thinks I need a therapist...She said that she thinks I am having a hard time dealing with what has happened this year and she asked me if she should call and have an appointment scheduled . . . and I don't know what to tell her like the thought of going to therapy to me seems so scary like it seems like it would be awkward I wouldn't know what to say to the therapist and like would everything I say be confidential or would they tell my parents like I don't know what to do....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Is therapy scary? - December 28th 2009, 06:22 AM

I was in your shoes so hard a few months ago, only it was me who was like holy crap I need to do this... it was such a big step.

I think therapy is honestly different for everyone and also, really what you make of it. If you want therapy and you think talking to someone will help you figure out what to do, it will probably be good for you. It's work, really, not a cure-all.. and sometimes it's hard to talk about stuff and I cried a lot, but in the end it's a great way to learn how to be better to yourself and understand yourself and other people better. I always felt really drained after sessions, but also, really hopeful and proud of myself.

I think it's a good thing for anyone who thinks they would benefit from it.

Ok and also, welcome to teenhelp!! And no, they won't tell anyone anything unless you are a threat to yourself or others. It's confidentiality rules.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: Is therapy scary? - December 28th 2009, 10:20 AM

Hey there,

I think it's great that you're considering getting help for this. Counseling can be so helpful when you're going through a rough time, and getting help is a big step towards recovery. I'm so proud of you; you are so incredibly strong.

Therapy can feel sort of scary at first, but after that first appointment, those feelings of fear tend to melt away. Don't stress; your therapist will lead you, ask you questions to keep the conversation going. You don't have to worry about what to say.

So long as you are not a danger to yourself or others, everything you tell your therapist is confidential. If you are suicidal or self-harming, or if you are having thoughts of violence towards others, your therapist will be forced to have a chat with your parents about how you've been feeling. Anything else, however, is completely confidential.

Take care. If you need anything at all, feel free to PM me.

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Is therapy scary? - December 28th 2009, 12:17 PM

Hey Lexie

I think it's great that your mum is helping you get some support. It's natural to be scared of going to therapy when you don't know what to expect. I know i was scared and so are a lot of people but your therapist will understand and try to help you feel more comfortable. It's ok if you don't know what to say to the therapist, usually they will ask you some questions to help you talk and you don't have to say anything you don't want to. One thing I will say though is that therapy is what you make of it. You need to try and be honest with the therapist to get the full benefit from it and get all the support you need.

Everything you say will be confidential unless the therapist believes you are in serious danger from yourself or from someone else but they would talk about it to you beforehand.

Good luck with everything
Jen

PM // VM

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is therapy scary? - December 28th 2009, 01:25 PM

don't be scared to tell them that you are nervous.. it's a very normal way to feel when going for the first few times, and it does get easier. i had therapy after a traumatic event in my life and although i didn't find it particularly helpful.. i am glad that i went. i think the main thing you need to do is go with an open mind. if you go with the attitude that it won't work.. then it probably won't. but it seems that you are open to the idea of it, so i think there is a lot to be gained. generally at your first session the therapist will take the lead and ask you a few questions which shouldn't be too hard for you to answer.. it's more of a getting to know you at first and working out the best way that they will be able to help you to move forward. good luck. x

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is therapy scary? - December 31st 2009, 03:23 PM

Hey there Lexie,

I think that it's wonderful that you're considering going to therapy and it is indeed a very big step for someone. It's very good that your mum is being supportve with your issues and she is right that therapy could help you sort through any issues that you may have.

I'm not going to lie, my answer to your question would be yes, I do think that therapy is scary. Not so much now, as I've adapted to it and I've had a lot of sessions, but it's true that, to begin with, I did find it to be a scary experience. Not scary as in terrifying, but it did make me slightly nervous. Honestly, sitting in a room with a stranger talking about how you feel is slightly strange, but once you get to know your therapist, it does get somewhat easier. It's reassuring that you're in control, too. You are in control of the sessions. The therapist should help you to feel comfortable and discuss confidentiality issues with you when you speak to them.

Take care.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Is therapy scary? - December 31st 2009, 04:35 PM

Hi there,

That's great that you are considering seeing the therapist. Therapists are there to help, and understand what people are going through. I personally loved talking to my therapist. She never really helped a lot, but she did help me to an extent. When you first start going, ask them about their privacy policy. Most of the time, they will keep things confidential unless you are in danger. My therapist kept everything confidential between us. I think you should really consider going, you won't regret it!

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Is therapy scary? - January 3rd 2010, 04:48 AM

This is the second time I've gone to a therapist... my first was a few years ago... but it seemed terrifying to me both times. I always feel nervous, and like I won't know what to say, but usually, the first session you talk about why you're there and what not, by the end of the first session you usually feel a little more comfortable with the therapist. For the next few sessions, they ask you some questions, and you awnser. When you're comfortable enough, you'll be able to tell them things without them asking....Atleast that's how it was with me...Then again, it depends on whethe you and your therapist mesh well...but it my seem TERRIFYING, but it really isn't all that scary.

Closed Thread