TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Mental health effecting memory and concentration? =/ - December 31st 2009, 09:25 PM

I, in my opinion, aren't in the best states of mind. I get anxiety quite badly, and I think I suffer with depression, and often feel suicidal or feel like I'm uncertain of what's real.

It's just that, my memory/concentration seems to have taken a huge turn for the worse?
It isn't every day normal things - I remember how to make tea, and who my family members are and so on.

But at college, I'm majorly struggling as I can't remember things they're teaching, and if a teacher asks a question I often go completely blank (which is probably more just to the pressure being on)

I see a counsellor, and she asks me what's wrong and so on. But I struggle to even remember/focus on that? I'm unhappy, and I can't exactly remember why? I just go all blank and can't focus.

Even now, I can't remember examples of what I'm trying to give, or even what I wanted to type in the first place.

It's just scary sometimes, 'cos when I get in a state, I can't remember or focus on why I'm in the state, and then I started to get really worked up and feel like I'm really loosing control. It's just getting really difficult and horrifying sometimes 'cos I feel completely worked up and alone =/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Mental health effecting memory and concentration? =/ - January 1st 2010, 06:42 AM

I know how you feel. I'm not sure why we feel that way either. Maybe someone else has an idea or something on that. But what I suggest that you can do that helps me also is to take notes. Take notes in class (or you a notetaking accommodation if you have it). Write little notes about what you want to say to your counselor or what you want to post on teenHelp. It certainly helps me because I have a cognitive disability and sometimes I need major help remembering things I need to remember.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Re: Mental health effecting memory and concentration? =/ - January 1st 2010, 07:06 PM

I'm sorry you go through the same thing.
Thankyou for the suggestion. I do already take quite a few notes whenever I can at college, although don't do it with more personal things.. I will start, though, to see if it helps. Thankyou.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Mental health effecting memory and concentration? =/ - January 2nd 2010, 05:14 PM

Heya Alex,

I can totally understand where you're coming from as I'm having the same problem at college.
Myabe you could talk to one of the teachers about this and explain what's going on so that they could have an idea of how to help you? I know it can be frustrating sitting in class and not being able to concentrate, maybe also medication could be a possibility?
If you've been feeling depressed, this can really affect your concentration levels, and sometimes medication could help with this. Is there a possibility that you could speak to your counsellor about this and see what they think?

xx

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Re: Mental health effecting memory and concentration? =/ - January 2nd 2010, 07:12 PM

Hi Hannah, thanks for your reply

I'm sorry you're going through the same thing. My teachers sort of know something is up.. they haven't exactly helped, but they do give me a chance and extra help if needed. It's just that I'm still not keeping up =/ I don't think I can really speak to them again, it'll seem annoying, & I think I've been annoying enough =/

I will speak to my counselor about my concentration though, and possibly medication. I mentioned it to her before, but she just asked further questions and sort of brushed it off. I'll mention it again, though.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely try speaking to my counselor about it, and look further into some medication

How do you handle it? If you don't mind me asking. Feel free to ignore the question, I understand (:

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Mental health effecting memory and concentration? =/ - January 2nd 2010, 10:20 PM

I don't think they'll think of you as being annoying, their job is to educate you and help you as much as they can. I'm sure they'll be glad that you're actually asking for help rather than struggling on your own with this.

As for me I'm probably going on medication. My friends offer their notes so I'm not so left behind, but it's more of the assignment work that I'm unable to do. My mind just goes blank every time. I'm having a meeting with my tutor next time I go in so that she's aware of my situation and we can discuss what is going to happen.

xx

Closed Thread