TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Thumbs down Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 1st 2010, 11:17 AM

Hey guys I must be getting on you're nevres with all these posts But I was just wondering today and looking at the symptoms for OCD...Well I have some and some are bang on. Maybe I'm just insane. But what do you think...?

-Sometimes i have an odd urge to do it and if I don't get it right I feel anxious and panicky and I repeat it until it's right
-I worry....Alot...As you all know.
-I have violent images, scary thoughts, starting to like violence too and horror....
-I like to keep alot of my posessions even if Don't use them incase they'll be a use in the future, If I need them and I don't have them.
-I like things to be perfect. The way I want them

But this is confusing. Cause I'm the laziest person I know. I think...I'm too relaxed mostly.
Er

What you think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 1st 2010, 01:52 PM

I'm a lot like you too, i'm rather lazy but at the same time i'm a perfectionist which is rather odd!

I think that if this is affecting your daily life, you need to tell someone about it, in particular a doctor as he/she will be able to help you medically, but it also helps to have someone like a friend to confide in for support.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rach

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 1st 2010, 09:44 PM

Im borderline lazy and also an ocd sufferer.

If you think you might be why not go talk to your doctor and see what they say.
Ive never found ocd a hindrance, but I suppose it depends on how much it effects you... I mean we've all heard of people who need to turn three times clockwise before they leave the house, but it doesn't all ways effect everyone like that, My most noticeable traits are can tapping (three times, in three different areas at the side of a can and three times on top before opening) and nose rubbing (to difficult to explain that routine)

I would say try not to worry to much, but if you want a yes or no answer go see your doctor.

Ticklish Tattoo!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 1st 2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightPrincess View Post
Hey guys I must be getting on you're nevres with all these posts But I was just wondering today and looking at the symptoms for OCD...Well I have some and some are bang on. Maybe I'm just insane. But what do you think...?
I think you should not look at the symptoms of a disorder so much because even if you don't intentionally mold yourself, you're likely to keep them in your memory and potentially mold yourself to what the symptoms are in that way. Also, for a diagnosis, it's NOT simply meeting the symptoms, it's meeting the criteria of the syndrome in addition to the symptoms. Lastly, self-diagnoses are not a reliable diagnosis.

Quote:
-Sometimes i have an odd urge to do it and if I don't get it right I feel anxious and panicky and I repeat it until it's right
-I worry....Alot...As you all know.
-I have violent images, scary thoughts, starting to like violence too and horror....
-I like to keep alot of my posessions even if Don't use them incase they'll be a use in the future, If I need them and I don't have them.
-I like things to be perfect. The way I want them
Part of the issue here is your age, 12. You're still maturing and so there's the issue of how much of your behavior is exaggerated because of this. In other words, it's an estimator variable: a variable whereby its presence is known but the effect of it is unknown and must be estimated.

This isn't to say you don't have any mental disorder but rather that focusing on whether or not you have one should be considered along with your age.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 2nd 2010, 12:17 AM

I know I shouldn't really look at the symptoms, but It happened alot today and I asked my friend she said it could be OCD and I should take a look at the syomptoms. So I did that and well I have a few of the symtpoms. I'm not magerely worried about it it just bugs the hell out of me. :/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 2nd 2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I know I shouldn't really look at the symptoms, but It happened alot today and I asked my friend she said it could be OCD and I should take a look at the syomptoms. So I did that and well I have a few of the symtpoms. I'm not magerely worried about it it just bugs the hell out of me. :/
Unless your friend is a doctor or a student in psychiatry or psychology at a university or graduate level, then what she says is probably based on minimal understanding. Having some of the symptoms of any mental disorder is normal, however, meeting some doesn't indicate one has the mental disorder. I'd say to relax and forget about it temporarily because if you're worried about them to begin with, when a situation presents itself and you react possibly in a way that resembles these symptoms, you'll think about how you reacted in such a way that may confirm your suspicions and become more and more worried. Eventually your peers or family members may ask what's going on, which to you would indicate that your behavior is indicative of this mental disorder when in reality, you don't truly have it.

This isn't to say that you actually don't have any mental disorder but rather that focusing on whether you have a specific one can change your perception and behaviors to mimic that mental disorder.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 2nd 2010, 01:49 AM

I think !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! is saying it right. Honestly I think we all want things to be perfect, worry, hoard things, get scared, and are lazy.. sometimes.

Also, it's not TeenHelps job, just like we can't tell you if you're pregnant, to diagnose or help you self-diagnose yourself with a mental disorder.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 2nd 2010, 03:53 AM

I know all this. And my friend was only trying to help so I checked it out anyway. That's not such a crime is it? I dont spend all my time thinking about it either it's just sometimes If I don't do something exactly the way I want it I get very anxious and panicky and I'll repeat it. I'm mainly curious. I just want to know what exactly is going wrong with me. I don't think I'm breaking any rules. And I trusted my friend because she's the one friend who's stuck with me and never told any of my secrets and defended me and everything. She was only trying to help.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 2nd 2010, 03:54 AM

Also her sister has OCD and that's how she knows about it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 2nd 2010, 05:31 AM

That's a legit reason to be curious, and I could see myself looking at symptoms if I was unhappy with something about myself, too. But in the grand scheme of things though, it is so hard to tell between general "normal" anxiety, general unhealthy anxiety, different kinds of serious anxiety, and OCD type disorders... you would really have to see a professional. And maybe even a few.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Half OCD? OCD? Help? - January 2nd 2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I know all this. And my friend was only trying to help so I checked it out anyway. That's not such a crime is it?
Nope, not a crime at all.

Quote:
I dont spend all my time thinking about it either it's just sometimes If I don't do something exactly the way I want it I get very anxious and panicky and I'll repeat it.
That's very reasonable for anyone as we tend to like to have things done to perfection or the way we want, and if something goes wrong, it's normal for us to want to fix it. For example, if I write a math test and I realize one of my answers is just a little bit off, I'm going to want to fix it. Likewise, if I think that my handwriting will make it too difficult for the person to mark, I'm going to re-write it even if my answer is correct.

Quote:
I'm mainly curious. I just want to know what exactly is going wrong with me. I don't think I'm breaking any rules. And I trusted my friend because she's the one friend who's stuck with me and never told any of my secrets and defended me and everything. She was only trying to help.
Your friend technically did nothing wrong by telling you about the symptoms because she was trying to help. You mentioned her sister has OCD so your friend may have thought that you may also have OCD and by telling you, perhaps it could be treated early. Nothing wrong with any of her motives.

Quote:
Also her sister has OCD and that's how she knows about it.
Fair enough, however, keep one thing in mind. For diagnosing mental disorders, in North America the DSM-IV-TR is used. As odd as it may sound, 2 people can have the same diagnosis but completely different symptoms. For OCD, this occurs too. The other problem which makes it hard for doctors is to differentiate normal behavior from abnormal behavior. I'm in no way condemning your friend or telling you what she did was bad but rather I'm telling you that even for doctors, getting the right diagnosis is difficult because people display a wide variety of symptoms for the same syndrome.

Closed Thread