TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

BPD and Bipolar. - January 8th 2010, 10:39 PM

Hey-

So I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I don't know that much about borderline personality disorder, so I started researching. I'm really confused now though. Borderline personality disorder sounds exactly like rapid-cycling bipolar disorder? So what's the difference?

Thanks!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: BPD and Bipolar. - January 8th 2010, 10:46 PM

I've been trying to figure that out myself too actually.

So far the only thing I've really come up with is the amount of time the moods last (in BPD it's only a few hours to a few days where in bipolar it's rare for most of the mood swings to be that short, but it's not impossible).
And the fact that a lot of the BPD criteria have to do with social interaction, but even then if you look hard enough you'll notice that many people with bipolar will act that way in certain moods.

The biggest thing I think is that some people with bipolar have normal mood periods between swings, which shouldn't be present with a personality disorder. But even then, not everybody with bipolar has periods of normal mood.

This is probably why a lot of people end up diagnosed as both.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: BPD and Bipolar. - January 8th 2010, 11:13 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one a bit confused.

Thanks!

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: BPD and Bipolar. - January 9th 2010, 03:09 AM

Well I might have Bipolar Type II and Borderline Personality Disorder. And the biggest thing is the social aspect, and things such as abandonment issues and dependency issues, self-injuring behaviours not necessarily associated with mood swings, instability in image and stuff not necessarily associated with mood swings. Sorry, I'm not an expert. In fact, it was a friend who has BP2 and BPD who initially mentioned that I probably have it, due to her and I being alot alike (this friend lives in Australia).

Yeah, sorry if I am not of any help. :/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: BPD and Bipolar. - January 9th 2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
Hey-

So I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I don't know that much about borderline personality disorder, so I started researching. I'm really confused now though. Borderline personality disorder sounds exactly like rapid-cycling bipolar disorder? So what's the difference?

Thanks!
Maria.
While there can be a consistency with the moods, BPD has 2 extensions to it that bipolar disorder doesn't. First, BPD is as you know a personality disorder and so it fits a whole separate category of mental disorder than bipolar disorder. Second, for BPD there includes issues with abandonment, dissasociation, problems with social interaction and paranoid or delusions. The other criteria and symptoms, such as impulsiveness can occur in both bipolar and BPD but for bipolar it would occur only during a manic phase, so there are some similarities but these similarities differ in when they occur. Another example, suicidal behavior or idealation can occur in both but in bipolar only occurs during a depressed phase.

Another difference has to do with the form of treatment given. For BPD, the commonly-used one is DBT along with some pharmacological agents but for bipolar, pharmacological agents are also used, perhaps the same as BPD but the forms of typical psychoptherapy differ. With this occurs differing possible reasons for the onset of the disorders. For BPD there is an association between frequent childhood abuse and onset whereas this association doesn't exist as much for bipolar disorder. There are different concordance rates for each also as well as the different amounts of each sex that are affected. Also, unlike bipolar disorder, BPD has been criticized by feminists on the basis of the criteria and symptoms being sexist.

So there's a long list of differences between the two despite the similarities. I'm sure there are differences in the neurological aspects but I haven't looked them up yet.

Closed Thread