TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grasshopper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Meds... - January 10th 2010, 12:25 AM

How is it possible that I am on anti-depressants (for my chronic migraines) and yet I still have my depression? It doesn't suppress that, even though it's an anti-depressant.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but simply moving on with dignity despite the fear."

"If I'm gonna go down, I'm gonna do it with style. You won't see me surrender, you won't hear me confess, cause you've left me with nothing, but I have worked with less." -Ani Difranco

"You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood for something in your life!"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Meds... - January 10th 2010, 12:31 AM

Hey--

It could be a few things. One is that it might not be the right antidepressant to treat your depression--there's a whole list of them out there and many people try several before finding the one that fits right. It could also be that the dosage isn't high enough to treat your depression. It could also be the fact that meds alone aren't usually enough to "cure" depression--therapy needs to be involved, too. It's important to get the chemical and neurotransmitter levels back up to where they need to be, but in addition to that, it's also important to learn how to be happy again, how to act and what to do and lifestyle changes and thought patterns you might need to make. Do you think you could give your doc a call and ask about seeing a therapist or counselor? It can make a world of difference.

Best of luck to you!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Grasshopper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Meds... - January 10th 2010, 02:26 AM

I am actually in therapy and have been since long before I was put on the meds. You're probably right about it being the wrong meds, because I am already taking the max that's safe, so it's probably not dosage. Thanks.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but simply moving on with dignity despite the fear."

"If I'm gonna go down, I'm gonna do it with style. You won't see me surrender, you won't hear me confess, cause you've left me with nothing, but I have worked with less." -Ani Difranco

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Meds... - January 10th 2010, 04:22 AM

Grasshopper, my friend with depression had to go through a couple different anti-depressants before he found one that worked, so I mean, it may just be trial and error. Although, keep a close eye on your behaviour, or get someone you trust to.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Grasshopper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Meds... - January 10th 2010, 03:37 PM

ArcAngel,

I was actually wondering about that. If I'm on the wrong one for the depression (but the right one for the migraines) can it have negative side affects for the depression, even if it helps the migraines?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Meds... - January 10th 2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
ArcAngel,

I was actually wondering about that. If I'm on the wrong one for the depression (but the right one for the migraines) can it have negative side affects for the depression, even if it helps the migraines?
Well usually, I don't think it'd change the depression too much. It either will or won't work. I think the only case I know of where an anti-depressant made things worse was when given to someone who turned out, didn't have depression. It made it much worse. But if you do, in fact, have depression, I'm sure something will help.

Closed Thread