TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_am_darrien Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Darrien

Borderline Personality Disorder - January 19th 2010, 03:55 AM

I think I may have BPD and would like to find others to discuss this with, I'm new to this site. I have been displaying all 9 symptoms for about 4 years now and have been in a group home and recently hospitalized into a mood stabilization center. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 2 years ago but I think it is wrong, my mood swings only last a few hours at most and after them I feel completely normal.
I'm afraid to mention this suspicion to my new therapist because I don't want him to think I am lying and trying to get attention, or outright deny it on account that i'm only 16.
Anyone that is suffering from from either illness or both, can you please explain what your characteristics were for whatever symptoms you displayed. Thanks.

Last edited by i_am_darrien; January 19th 2010 at 05:10 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder - January 19th 2010, 04:06 AM

I've never heard that people with BPD often don't know they have it. People with BPD may not know they have BPD, but they would probably know something is wrong because many people who are actively struggling with BPD are very miserable, in my opinion. (including me)

Here are the 9 criteria of BPD. To have BPD you must consistantly display 5 or more criteria for over a year. I'm going to bold the criteria i struggle with most of the time and italicize the symptoms i sometimes struggle with.
  1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
  2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
  3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
  4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuous sex, eating disorders, binge eating, substance abuse, reckless driving). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
  5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself.
  6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
  7. Chronic feelings of emptiness
  8. Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
  9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms
So basically the only one that almost never applies to me is number 8- difficulty controlling anger. It is common for adolescents to display two or three symptoms of BPD from time to time (I know pleanty of impulsive teens, teens who go through some mood swings, and teens who have a low self esteem or aren't sure who they are.) the key to diagnosis is that 5 of the criteria are PERSISTANT over a year or more. A lot of doctors are hesitant to diagnose adolescents with personality disorders, but according to the DSM (the book used to diagnose mental illnesses in the US) people under 18 CAN be diagnosed.

In your post in the mental health subforum you mentioned antisocial personality disorder. BPD and ASPD are very very different even though there is some overlap such as anger & impulsivity. People with ASPD majorly lack empathy, or the ability to feel for others, while people with bpd often are incredibly sensitive to other needs and emotions.

People with ASPD often:
Breaks the law repeatedly
Lies, steals, and fights often
Disregards the safety of self and others
Does not show any guilt

Unlike BPD ASPD cannot be diagnosed before age 18. But if you are at risk for developing ASPD you will have had a conduct disorder since at least age 15. you can read more about conduct disorders here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conduct_disorder

If you fear you may have BPD or a conduct disorder, I suggest talking to a psychiatrist abot your concerns.

You're Not alone.
Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder - January 19th 2010, 05:04 AM

From the sounds of it, if you were diagnosed Bipolar, but your moodswings are short-lived, it could be Rapid-Cycling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar...#Rapid_cycling

Not to mention that there are symptoms of BPD that overlap with symptoms of Bipolar, but there are also some that stand out. But you can always say to your therapist how your moods are changing abnormally rapidly. Also, mention the things that you think you have that are symptomatic to BPD. As I said, some things overlap, some don't. I'm sure if you bring up your concerns, your therapist will be willing to help you get proper diagnosis.

Closed Thread