TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Bipolar??? - February 1st 2010, 01:25 AM

Ok so...I go from really hyper to really sad to really angry, to the point where I've thought about hitting someone. I control it and never act on these feelings. I especially feel like this when thinking about this one guy I love. I've talked about this many times before. He has a girlfriend and has made it very clear he doesn't want me. I get so mad, and think it's not fair he would never give me just one chance. I know it's not fair or even rational of me to think things like that, especially since he has tried to help me. But no one has really been there for me lately; he's always busy or has to go soon when I call him, and my other friend thinks things are a lot better for me and I don't want to burden her with the fact that, actually, things are worse. On top of this I'm bulimic, and I have a voice in my head who's always there. She likes to create walls between me and other people and tells me it's for the best. She calls me things like "Fatass" and "Retard". I'm really messed up and mental and I know it, but my ED voice won't let me talk to people to get help. But anyway, I wonder if I'm also bipolar. I'm already a mental freak, why not have one more thing wrong with me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bipolar??? - February 1st 2010, 01:38 AM

Well question, whats it like when you get "really hyper"? A better descriptive would help indicate whether these mood swings are close to normal or not.

And care to explain what else you have wrong with you? Or what you think may be wrong?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Bipolar??? - February 1st 2010, 02:44 AM

Only a doctor could possibly diagnose you with a mental illness. There are a number of physical and other mental illnesses that can seem similar to bipolar disorder, so it's a confusing thing to diagnose. Not just that but some of the diagnostic criteria are kind of iffy and subjective.
Another big problem is that a lot of the time when you read the symptoms of something and suspect you have it you can subconsciously act more and more like you have the illness. This is one of the bigger reasons that self diagnosing is largely looked down upon.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Re: Bipolar??? - February 1st 2010, 05:52 PM

Well, if I'm happy about something it doesn't last long at all. I go into a sadness which lasts a long time. I'm bulimic, depressed, and overly obsessive.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bipolar??? - February 1st 2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattered_Girl View Post
Well, if I'm happy about something it doesn't last long at all. I go into a sadness which lasts a long time. I'm bulimic, depressed, and overly obsessive.
Well from the sounds of it, I don't think you have Bipolar. Although, you still should go to your doctor. As LaFin said, only a professional can properly diagnose you, and it doesn't help that Bipolar, along with other mental illnesses, have alot of overlapping symptoms.

Closed Thread