TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Memories Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kat

So confused. - March 7th 2010, 10:54 PM

Okay, so a few month ago the doctor put me on anti-depressent/anxiety meds called pristiq. My counsellor told me to go to these doctors, who are like a free youth clinic.
So, I guess I have depression/anxiety though she never said that. But anywho. I came off my meds as soon as I came home from a holiday I was on because I hated being on them.
I think I get more intollerance and discimination from myself than I ever would from other people. I am all for anyone getting the help they need, and think it's really important but yeah. Idk. I can't stand it when it's me. I guess I have a huge fear of being like my mother, being insane.
Anways, my psychologist/counsellor understands why I went off them, but wants me to go back to the clinic. I keep telling her I don't want to, they will be grumpy at me for coming off the meds.
I don't really know what to do. Are meds worth it? I don't really wanna be on them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MasterCylander Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Manda

Re: So confused. - March 7th 2010, 11:51 PM

Only you can judge that, spend some time working out what suits you best. Trying to get control of your emotions without medication is the hardest road but the most rewarding. consider your options and do whats right for you regardless of what anyone says
  Send a message via MSN to MasterCylander  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: So confused. - March 7th 2010, 11:57 PM

If your counselor and the doctors at the clinic think it could help you I would give it another go. Just because the first kind of medication made you feel awful doesn't mean all the kinds of antidepressant medication will.
When you go to the clinic just let them know why you stopped taking it and they'll probably try you on a different kind, if they don't then ask that they do.
And don't worry, they won't be angry at you for stopping your medication, they might be a little disappointed but surely not angry. It happens a lot more often than you think, a lot of people stop their own medication for the same reason you did.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: So confused. - March 9th 2010, 09:59 AM

Hey Kat,

She might not want you to go back with the intention of being put on the meds again, maybe there will be another solution? How is it going with your counsellor? Do you feel it is working and perhaps helping? They shouldn't be angry with you if you explain your reasons fully.

Personally, I think it is up to you. Have a discussion with the doctor about how you are feeling about taking meds and see what they say. You never know, they might think of something else that could help you.

It is alright to feel that way. But have you ever thought that if you don't take action now then it could be too late, and you are perhaps more likely to end up like your mother? I can guess that you don't want that - so try do something about it now while you can.

Stay strong, always here for you.
Take care.
Anna

Closed Thread