TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

New Medication? - March 9th 2010, 12:27 PM

Well I had my psychiatrist appointment yesterday and once I told her I was feeling depressed she prescribed me a new medication.
So now I'm on Epival (Depakote for you Americans out there) and Celexa. I was told that since I'm bipolar there's a very real chance that the Celexa will make me manic instead of stable and that my mood stabilizer won't be able to hold it back. If that happens I'll be admitted to the hospital.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would be until I knew if that was going to happen or not. Is it going to be 4-6 weeks like it takes for the medication to work or is it a shorter time period?
I'd just like to know when I can stop worrying so much about it

Member since 2005
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Points: 14,343, Level: 17 Points: 14,343, Level: 17 Points: 14,343, Level: 17

Re: New Medication? - March 9th 2010, 07:15 PM

well it honestly depends on what your asking, so if your asking when you will notice that this medication isnt working and your having manic episodes, then it depends on the person, how their body handles the medication, it can take a day, it can take weeks,months it can even take a few hours, with me, i take a lot of different medication mostly for pain, there is one drug i am on called gabapentin(neurontin) and when i started taking it i had to take it every day twice and i was told that it has to build up in my system in order for it to start working, that was 8 years ago. it honestly depends on the person and their body, i hope that my advice helps, good luck with the medication and i hope you find a medication that works for you and that wont effect your mood stableizer.

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: New Medication? - March 10th 2010, 07:26 PM

There's a general rule-of-thumb that anti-depressants take about 2 weeks on average to produce effects that the person can feel. They begin working much sooner but the effects are not felt by the person until the 2 week mark. However, when there is a drug-drug interaction, such as the one occurring with you, it becomes pretty unpredictable as to the timing for any symptoms to be shown.

But something else to add, Epival really isn't an anti-depressant. It's an anti-convulsant but it has been shown over and over that anti-convulsants can and do help with treating some mood disorders, although you may need to pay more attention as there can be a greater variety of side-effects, some of which are very nasty and put you in a place far worse than simply going to the psych ward.

Since you're also in Canada, this may be relevant to you and in addition because of bipolar and mood disorders, it's from the Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba: http://www.depression.mb.ca/document...EATED-OBAD.pdf
It is a PDF.
Closed Thread