TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Kira Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Melody

Angry Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 12:10 AM

So, I finaly agreed to see a therapist. I thought it would be me, her and my mother and father in a room. But it was just me and her. I thought it would be tense and all, but it was comforting. We talked for hours and hours... I told her about my nightmares and poetry, even read her some of the ones I knew by heart. Also I had my teddy bear with me and she asked why I brought him and started this whole thing about asking about him. She said that I was interactive and shit. I atually really liked her and now I have to see her every other day for two hours...
But when we got home my mom was looking over papers she gave her and I looked too when my mom was not there. And now I dont want to see her again. She diagnosed me with about a million things, including bipolar dissorder. How could she have diagnosed after one appointment?

She diagnosed me with a thousand phobias too... I dont wanna go again...

Stay forever lovely
  Send a message via AIM to The Kira  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 02:59 AM

Honestly, I agree that it seems a bit weird to be diagnosed with many things after one appointment. But, someones diagnosis can always change overtime, especially since you're 14. When you're young, things fluxuate alot compared to when you're an adult.

You should probably continue going with the therapy, and if you don't like the therapist, see a new one. And maybe ask why you've been diagnosed the way you have?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 03:05 AM

Just because she gave your mom papers to read on it doesn't mean you're being diagnosed with it. It means that she may be considering it as a possibility.
I would find it weird that she would be diagnosing you with a bunch of stuff, especially without going over it with you first. Firstly she's a therapist, and while therapists can know their stuff as much as the next mental health worker, I'd trust a psychiatrist more for diagnosing. Secondly, you're only 14, it's very hard to diagnose a lot of mental disorders and it's even harder to do in young adults and teens.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 04:39 AM

In many places, therapists cannot diagnose because they're not a doctor, and by diagnosing she would be presuming the false identity of a doctor. In other words, there are legal issues with her attempting to diagnose. She can however document the behaviours along with the context you exhibited and possibly indicate that they may have a possibility of a certain disorder. While it is possible to be diagnosed at 14, many doctors are hesitant unless it's very obvious something is clearly a significant outlying behaviour.

Diagnosing on one appointment without consulting your parents or friends for comparisons of how you behave outside the office is not required but it is often done for greater accuracy, is all quite possible but it usually takes several sessions even when a doctor does it.

Check again to ensure if it is giving a diagnosis or if it is simply documenting the suspected behaviours for a syndrome or even ask her, which means seeing her again.

Also, she may hand over the behaviours she documented to a psychiatrist who can make official diagnoses but if she's not and is simply diagnosing it by herself, if I were you, I'd be very weary and I'd also be checking up the legalities regarding that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
In many places, therapists cannot diagnose because they're not a doctor, and by diagnosing she would be presuming the false identity of a doctor.
Not exactly true. In most states in the US, in order to diagnose one must attain a second level of licensure, but usually a doctorate is not required for that second level of licensure. In Illinois, for example, the basic licensure is an LPC licensure, which is simply a Licensed Practicing Counselor. The second level, LCPC Licensure, is Licenced CLINICAL Practicing Counselor. A Clinical counselor can diagnose whereas an LCPC cannot. An LCPC requires more levels of supervised experience and an additional licensure test. A good number of states are moving towards combining levels of licensure, though. The point where being a "doctor" comes into play is in prescribing psychotropic medication.

All of that being said, like another person said just because she gave your mom papers about certain disorders does not mean that you were diagnosed with them. From the number of phobias you mentioned (an exaggeration I'm guessing, but still) it almost sounds as though she was giving your mother information. She may have been laying out possibilities based on the basic information she gathered and will look to narrow them down in future sessions.

If she did in fact diagnose you, I wouldn't take it personally. Oftentimes, counselors will diagnose relatively quickly due to insurance reasons. If insurance is paying for the appointments, they need documentation of a "reason" for the therapy, hence a hasty diagnosis can be helpful for the client from an insurance perspective.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
Not exactly true. In most states in the US, in order to diagnose one must attain a second level of licensure, but usually a doctorate is not required for that second level of licensure. In Illinois, for example, the basic licensure is an LPC licensure, which is simply a Licensed Practicing Counselor. The second level, LCPC Licensure, is Licenced CLINICAL Practicing Counselor. A Clinical counselor can diagnose whereas an LCPC cannot. An LCPC requires more levels of supervised experience and an additional licensure test. A good number of states are moving towards combining levels of licensure, though. The point where being a "doctor" comes into play is in prescribing psychotropic medication.
That is news to me as at least in Canada, I was always told by my doctors and professors who were former clinicians that only doctors could hand down official diagnoses. I wonder if psychiatry differs in this or if it's a difference across countries.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
That is news to me as at least in Canada, I was always told by my doctors and professors who were former clinicians that only doctors could hand down official diagnoses. I wonder if psychiatry differs in this or if it's a difference across countries.
It is probably a difference from country to country. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, it's a state by state thing here in the US, not normally a federal concern but it is often similar from state to state. In many ways, psychiatry is often the same thing that an LCPC does here in the US, but with the ability to prescribe medication. There are other subtle differences, the main one coming down to the fact that an LCPC would be considered a mental health professional in most cases whereas a psychiatrist would be considered a medical professional.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 11:55 AM

Hey there Melody,

It can be very hard to come to terms with any disorder. I don't think that it's a good idea to solely go off what you've found in your mothers posession, though. Just because your mother has been given some information, it doesn't mean that you've definitely been diagnosed with those things - it could just be to help your parents gain some understanding about what's going on and why you're receiving help. It is very unlikely that you will be diagnosed with a mood disorder after one session, especially at such a young age.

I don't think that you should stop going to therapy, but you should discuss your issues and worries with your therapist, instead. You could ask her about the things that she gave to your mother and how it has made you feel. It's really worth getting the help if it's available to you, Melody.

Take care.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
The Kira Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Melody

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 21st 2010, 10:37 PM

I was actually mistaken. I'm seeing a psycolotyst, not a therapist. And I asked mom what the papers were and she got mad for looking at her stuff

Stay forever lovely
  Send a message via AIM to The Kira  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 22nd 2010, 12:19 AM

Being diagnosed with something isn't a bad thing. It does not change who you are. Its just something for the doctors to find out how to best treat you. Like others have said, it would be in your best interest to keep going to therapy.
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Diagnosed with bipolar dissorder - March 22nd 2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kira View Post
I was actually mistaken. I'm seeing a psycolotyst, not a therapist. And I asked mom what the papers were and she got mad for looking at her stuff
Huh? Her stuff? I thought you were the one seeing the psychologist or psychiatrist, and the papers were regarding your behaviour, not hers. I'm confused in what you're saying now.

Closed Thread