TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheGinger Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hannah

Question The Joys of Genetics... - May 14th 2010, 05:49 AM

I'm new here, obviously, so hi. =]
I'm the last person people would expect to be having these sort of problems, so I'm afraid to really talk about it. But I figured I'd give it a try here.

My moods fluctuate, like any other teenaged girl. But I am concerned with how weird the extremes are, and how they make me act. I'll go for a while, and feel like I am literally at the top of the world. I'll feel like I can fix the world, charm any guy, and finish my homework all at the same time. I'll clean a lot, and be really productive, but then I stop sleeping, which makes me tired during the day. During these times I'll be super-sociable, and feel great. Sometimes I get hyper, but usually I just feel really, really exuberant.

But then, my mood will change. It is sometimes gradual, and sometimes pretty sudden. I'll be in such a bad mood that I'll stay in bed all day, and just sleep, and have random crying spurts over the dumbest things. I just stop caring, and I end up isolating myself, which just makes things worse. I never feel suicidal, or harm myself though.

Another thing that has come along with this has been anger problems. I've never had problems with anger before, but now it seems like I am always irritated with something. I catch myself being overly sarcastic, and just a plain bitch. I despise it, and I try to stop when I notice it, but I still feel bad.
And yesterday I had a really bad day. I was irritable all day, and kind of just feeling bored and down, and my brother said something dumb to me, and it completely set me off. I went to my room and just laid down in my bed, and tried to get myself under control because I was so angry that I was crying and shaking. I felt like I was going crazy.

Everyone knows that mood swings are normal for teens, but I'm worried because my mom is Bipolar. I am not sure what type she has, but I know she takes medication for it (Generic Zoloft and Depakote). I would talk to her about it, but I think she goes out of the way to avoid the subject. The only reason I even know she is Bipolar is because my dad mentioned it once, and I read her prescriptions.

So, I am worried. I've read that Bipolar often comes out between 15 and 25, and that is can be passed down genetically. Since I am in a high risk group for it, I really don't know if these crazy moods I am experiencing are just normal hormones or something else.

I just don't know what to do, and I am afraid of losing control of myself. =/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: The Joys of Genetics... - May 14th 2010, 05:54 AM

Your moods don't sound out of the ordinary at the moment, I know people who get like you. If you're really worried though the best thing to do is to see the doctor and explain your moods to him and the fact that your mum is bipolar is worrying you. The sooner you go the sooner you can get it all sorted out

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: The Joys of Genetics... - May 14th 2010, 07:31 AM

It could easily be you growing up, and to be honest, it most likely is.

I'm no expert, but I know Zoloft is a common Anti-Depressant, and I don't know anything about Depakote, so your mother may very well be Bipolar Type II.

How often do you cycle through these moods? How long does each mood last for?

Because well, everything you've described sounds like a teenager (especially the bit about being sarcastic and "just a plain bitch"), so I mean, the part in brackets gives a good indication that it may not be Bipolar.

Perhaps, as said above, if it concerns you, visit your doctor. Though normally, doctors don't like diagnosing Bipolar in youth unless something DRASTIC happens, due to the hormone fluxuations. They usually wait until you're in your late teens or early 20's before giving moodswings a diagnosis.

But if you express your concern as you have here, and include things like how long each moods lasts, specifics of what happens in your moods, etc., then your doctor may be able to help you figure out if your concerns are founded or not.

Good luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: The Joys of Genetics... - May 14th 2010, 03:20 PM

I should also point out that if your mother is bipolar, and if you've ever grown up to see her act in any of these ways, there's also a good chance that it's environmental. Sometimes it's more a matter of re-shaping your behaviour and finding positive coping techniques that are different than the ones you've been "taught," or in other words, brought up with. And sometimes it's worth it to discover those techniques whilst also delving deeper into your behaviour simply so it can help put your mind at ease that you don't have this or that.

However, none of us here are doctors, and as someone who has no clue why she's been through the diagnostic processes she's been put through, I'm probably the least qualified to be saying "oh, it sounds like it could be..." or even "I doubt it's..." So my suggestion to you would be to speak to a doctor about it. Tell them your concerns if nothing else, and see what they have to offer. Even if you aren't bipolar, it might be a good idea to clear the air so that you don't have to worry about this on a regular basis, yanno?

Closed Thread