TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julie

Worried about mum - May 15th 2010, 10:18 PM

I'm worried about my mum and I don't know where to start. We own an ice-cream truck and today I was helping her load it when I accidentally split the hundreds and thousands. She lost it and said I did it on purpose to delay her. That pretty much paints the whole picture right now, she really thinks everyone is out to get her. She sometimes flies into a rage at home about people at her work. She does this because she thinks they've installed some sort of monitor system in our house so they can hear her. Recently she started accusing them of poisoning her (she works in a restaurant and the staff take turns cooking lunch). When I try to talk some sense into her she tells me to explain her symptoms (like swelling ankles, breathlessness when walking up a hill and general weakness). Worst of all she refuses to see a doctor cause she thinks her enemies will just pay him to tell her something's wrong and cause her even more stress. I can't argue with that logic. She also tells me when she drives she knows people are following her and once she almost chased down a car and rammed into it "but it got away". It wasn't this bad from the beginning, I can only guess it started building up 4 years ago when she split with her boyfriend. Now I'm not even sure if she trusts me. When I ask her she tells me she knows I love her but I do alot of "stupid things" without referring to what they are. I'm at a loss for what to do, we live alone together and all of the relatives on her side are overseas. She definitely doesn't trust my dad and I don't share the best relationship with him either. I don't know who to turn to and I'm not sure if letting things go on the way they are is ok.

Last edited by ~*Free_Falling*~; May 15th 2010 at 10:46 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
House Offline
Diagnostician
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Worried about mum - May 30th 2010, 01:02 AM

You need to get her to a doctor. This sounds neurological. Those symptoms she has could be a sign of clotting, or tumor in her brain, which would mean she isn't crazy.

If talking to her about it isn't making her less paranoid, get her to a doctor. If those symptoms she complains out persist, something bad could happen. While I understand it being hard to force someone you love into doing something they don't want to do, you have to for their own good.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FromTheAshes Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lils

Re: Worried about mum - May 31st 2010, 11:16 PM

Hi Julie,

That sounds like a really stressful situation for you. While we can't tell you here what's causing your mum to be thinking and behaving that way, it does sound like it's something that would be worth getting checked out - at the very least so that you can get some support in how to cope with it yourself and get some answers as to what's going on.

If you can get her to go to the doctor herself, that might be the best thing, but it sounds like if she's very paranoid she might not feel safe to contact the doctor. If that happens, would you feel able to ask your own doctor for advice? I say that because how you might help her is not necessarily the same in different countries, so I'm not sure the best advice to give you from there but hopefully your doctor should have a better idea of how things work where you are than me.

I don't want to panic you - your mum's symptoms don't necessarily mean that she has a tumour or anything like that, but they are worth getting checked out because that is one of a number of possibilities.

I'm glad that you are reaching out for support and advice on this - your mum is lucky to have you as a daughter.

Good luck and take care.

Closed Thread