TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Sociopath - May 27th 2010, 09:01 AM

Hello, and good day. I think I might be a sociopath, I feel no care for the life and happiness of others, I want to make people suffer because I was poor as a child, I think about ways to take over countries, and think of ways to torture people I dislike. Yet everyone loves me and I am extremely charismatic, and calculating, making decisions based in sole logic without emotion.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Sociopath - May 27th 2010, 08:28 PM

Hi there. If this is something that concerns you, I'd recommend asking your doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist. I am not qualified to diagnose you, nor are you qualified to diagnose yourself, but here are some common characteristics of a sociopath (taken from this site):
  • Glibness and superficial charm
  • Manipulative and conning
  • Grandiose sense of self
  • Pathological lying
  • Lack of remorse, shame, or guilt
  • Shallow emotions (when showing what seems to be warmth, joy, love, and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive)
  • Incapacity for love
  • Need for stimulation (Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.)
  • Lack of empathy
  • Poor behavioral controls/impulsive nature
  • Early behavior problems/juvenile delinquency
  • Irresponsibility/unreliability
  • Promiscuous sexual behavior/infidelity
  • Lack of realistic life plan/parasitic lifestyle (exploiting other people)
  • Criminal or entrepreneurial versatility (changes image as needed to avoid prosecution)
If you find you have a lot of these traits, then again, you should speak to your doctor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Sociopath - May 27th 2010, 11:58 PM

Sociopathy isn't a legal nor medical diagnosis, in fact listing out symptoms of it is incorrect because sociopathy is a term for anti-social personality disorder, dissocial personality disorder and/or psychopathy. Not all three are the same, so while there are indeed similarities, there are differences so any list of symptoms for sociopathy depends on the definition used.

If you want a good view on psychopathy (legal term not medical as it does not exist in the medical realm), then get the book called Without Conscience by Dr. Robert Hare, who is the leading expert in it as well as the expert in forming the risk assessment tools for it.

As for the symptoms you describe, they can be anything or nothing because it matters on the severity, the contexts, the duration, etc... . The diagnostic tool for psychopathy is the PCL-R or the PCL-SV (version of it). The PCL-YV is a version that would be of no diagnostic value to you. I'm not sure which country you're in and as odd as it sounds, the country you're currently in can affect the diagnosis when using the PCL-R or PCL-SV. Dr. Hare's book explains it in great detail, you can get it from Chapters pretty easily, less than $80 CAD.

The general trend though for development would be conduct disorder and/or oppositional defiant disorder. As much as I am against self-diagnosis, look them up. I cant give any more advice, other than see a doctor if you're concerned about it. Once again though, it's more than merely checking what symptoms you have or don't have that makes the diagnosis.

Closed Thread